Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work permit for F1 student

Hi,

I am an international student from Germany and have been living in NY for over a year now. I am here on an F1 student visa and would like to apply for work authorization. I would like to get Optional Practical Training. I looked at several webpages on the web, but every page says something different about what forms one needs to provide. Some say that I need the form I-538 which does not exist. It costs $340 to fill out the form I-765 and if I apply, I wanna make sure that I got all the documents and am not missing one. Has anybody done this before and knows something about the process? Is it likely to get work authorization or this EAD card, which shows that you are allowed to work? Which documents do I need?

I would really appreciate a quick response. Thanks in advance!!!

work permit for F1 student

As far as I know, for OPT you dont need to apply personally. I went to the International department in the university and applied there. They didnt charge any money. All I had to do is to go and get my passport size color picture. Also, keep this is mind- When u go apply for they will ask u a start date, if you have a job lined up then u can give a start date of your OPT from the day u want to start your lined up job. If not and you are thinking of being consultant, getting trained before job then I would suggest you shud keep your start date atleast 2 to 3 months after from the date you are applying for your OPT.

So questions for you?
    • Are you enrolled in any University, if yes then go to International Services in your Univ for OPT.
    • Do you have a job linedup?
    Last edited by aadivasi; 08-13-2007, 10:38 AM. Reason: title changed

Comment

EAD Documents

Applying for an EAD Card:

To obtain an EAD card, you must file the following documents with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS):
      USCIS Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

Two identical color photographs as per the following specifications:

Taken within 30 days of filing the application

Showing three-quarter frontal profile showing the right side of your face, with your right ear visible and with your head bare (unless you are wearing a headdress as required by a religious order of which you are a member)

Has a white background and be no larger than 2 X 2 inches, with the distance from the top of the head to just below the chin about 1 and 1/4 inches

Glossy, un-mounted, un-retouched and printed on thin paper

Copy of your current passport

Copy of the USCIS Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Document issued to you when you entered the U.S.

Copy of the receipt notice or other evidence that your application for Green Card is pending with the USCIS

Copies of documents which indicate your current status

If you have previously been issued an EAD card, include a legible photocopy, front and back

If you are in F-1 or M-1 status, copies of all your I-20s showing the international student adviser's recommendation for practical training. Also include a copy of the Form I-538, endorsed by the international student adviser

Comment

I agree with Adivasi on how to get your OPT. But remember if your F1 expires on June 1st and you want your OPT to start on August 1st and lets say a company wants to hire you the day after you graduate or on June 2nd, in this case you cannot work for them since your work authorization starts only on August 1st. Some companies may wait and I highly doubt that and some may just move on and find someone else for the job. I recommend have your OPT start date right after you graduate and finish your school. In that way you have a offer, you can start work immediately.The choice is yours.
        Good luck!
        Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X