Extended I-20: What about visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended I-20: What about visa?

I am graduate student in Wayne State University, Detroit. I came here last fall (August 2006) as a MS student. This fall i had been transferred to the PhD program. Our university has issued me one new I-20 valid upto 2012. now the problem is that i have my US visa (F-1) upto August 2008. How to extend that duration? Can i go to canadian embassay as it is very near from here? I am visiting india this december, but i am not sure whether i would be able to apply for visa extension (as my visa will expire on august 2008, so there would be still 8 months left at that time)? can anybody suggest me something about this matter? if i want to go for visa interview next time when i will be visiting india (2009-2010, can't say right now), is there any chance of visa rejection? I am getting a fellowship from this university, total funding written on new I-20 is about $48,000 per annum. kindly help. Thanks in advance.

You will be fine with going for the extension and you have got a fellowship.Dont worry about it.You should be fine. They usually dont pull down students who have a fellowship/scholarship. If they did, the university cant use that 48000$ for any other purpose.It is a loss to the university if they pulled a student like that. You will be fine. All the best and Congrats on your fellowship!
    Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. hope to get the visa extension.

Comment

I think you are unnecessarily worrying about your visa. The visa stamp is only for reentry and has nothing to do with your status here. even if the stamp expires and I-94 stays current you are legal but any travel abroad after the expiry of visa stamp will require restamping before reentry.

most often than not F1/J1 holders are given I-94 saying valid upto duration of stay or D/S that means as long as you are fulfilling the terms of your visa you are legal in USA.

Contact the international student services at your school for more information.

Comment

Thanks for your kind reply. i will contact international office for further info. anyway, thanks once again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X