Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponsoring for student visa

Hello,

This is a great forum and would appreciate anyone who can advice me on the following ques. Brief summary ofthe student. My niece was accepted to Univ to begin language studies for spring 2008 (she has taken TOEFL-awaiting scores) the lang. study prog is so that she can become proficient in English. She was also accepted into a bachelor's program ( Engineering)

Ques:
    University does not offer housing program, so my neice can stay with me or lease an apt. I am ineligible to sponsor her on any immigration (aunt). So, would it suffice the officer if I was to offer her accomodations? OR should she show that she will live on her own. Of course I paid for her SEVIS fee? So, that might come into ques..which establishes family is in US.

Also, ties back to the country: She lost her father 3 yrs ago, so she has a mother and 16 year old brother and her immediate relative. What other ties should she show?

Her mother will be paying for her education, the only support I would provide is housing. Am I required to send any support letter?

Please advice.

Thank you,
    Shefali
    Last edited by shefaliB; 11-19-2007, 03:12 PM.

Housing is fine,she can stay with you.And she need not mention anything about staying with you if that worries you about whether they may reject the visa...I dont see a problem in that.Where the student stays is her choice,she can lease an apartment or stay with you.The main thing is she should show enough funds which will support her studies and stay in the US.Stay extends to her expenses in the US including accomodation,food etc etc. I went on F1 and stayed with a relative of mine,I did not mention anything about staying with my relative nor did I take any supporting letter.
    Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

Sponsoring for student visa

Thank you for your advise TopCaptain (:

I agree with you, here is my concern in one of the forms either D-156,157 or 158 it does mention where will you be staying. If we indicate she will be staying with us, the VO will also ask preassumbly, if she has any relative in U.S. Of course, we will not lie.. In your experience with this forum, what is the trend with students whose have relatives are living in US? Is this a deterent for VO to not issue visas?

She is able to show strong financial resources for her education. Also, she only applied to one school and she was accepted on her 1st try. Does the VO prefer to see student applying to more than one school.

We just found out she has to retake her TOEFL test due to the speaking section was not scoreable.
      Since the university has accepted her without the scores. Do you recommend her to obtain an interview date and explain at that time if VO ask about TOEFL score. OR is it best to take the exam before proceeding to the interview? She has not yet gone to the consulate office to obtain an interview date.

I appreciate your comments.

Thanks,
      Shefali
      Last edited by shefaliB; 11-20-2007, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I know they do ask with whom you are staying and there is also a question asking whether you have a relative.Yes you need to be honest.I know people who have said "yes i have a sister or relative" and they have got their F1.
        There is no such thing that if you have applied for more than 1 university that the VO will like it. Did the university ask her to do the toefl again?
        Another thing is you want to get into a decent university and not give an idea to the VO that you just want to reach the US even if its a very small uni.
        How did you conclude that she has to take toefl again? You mentioned that the university has accepted her. Some universities may ask students to take an english class to become fluent like the one you mentioned.You can ask the university to give a letter saying that she is accepted and to compensate for the score or TOEFL ,they will be providing this coaching in English and go for the interview.It is worth a try.In worst case,she will have to take the toefl with a better score and try again.
        Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X