Visa extension denied - Venezuela

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa extension denied - Venezuela

Hi, I have a friend from Venezuela who has been attending a university and is graduating in May. He has followed the letter of the law the entire time he and his family have been here. He asked for an extension on his visa to continue his education and he was turned down and told he and his family have to return to the country and he has to work for the Venezuelan government for 4 years before he can consider returning to the US. Other students who asked for extensions were granted because their scope of study was critical to the country but applied linguistics did not fall in that critical category. Are there any options for these folks? Can he change over to a critical category? How about political asylum? They tried last year and were declined. What would the possibility be a year later? Any suggestions of options where this man and his family could remain in the States would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,

Stumper Walker

What exactly was he getting extended? was he an F1 student? if so, he did not need to extend his visa, since his status was ruled by his I-94.

Under what visa was his family here? I am assuming you mean his wife and children? as F2 holders (his dependents).

By them trying to file for political asylum they showed immigrant intent. And going to back to Venezuela, shows that the "persecution and hardship" is not as bad. So filing again would only get them denied again.

Please provide more information. Who denied this application, the US embassy? who required this 4 years with the government?
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X