Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US bank account and F1

Here is my situation-

I was on Blanket L1 visa in USA during 2006-2007 working for a reputed company. I returned back in May 2007 after quitting that company. After which I worked with my father's firm as a consultant and prepared for GRE, etc. Currently I am working full-time with a software firm from past 2 months. I now have admission offer and 100% funding in the form of teaching assistantship from a good US university. I have received I-20 also.

After returning back from USA I maintained my US bank account as I was planning to go back for studies this year and also for my tax returns, etc. I also have an NRI account with Indian bank. Major saving I have is in these 2 accounts only, some in dollars and some in rupees. Apart from that in my Indian banks I don't have too much saving now, something around 2.5 lakhs (INR) including FD but it is a running account.

I don't have any property in my name in India. Only some investments like mutual funds and life insurance policies. But all my family members are in India and there is property in my parents and grandparents name.

I am very confused related to visa interview and the documents I should carry to prove that I will return to India after my studies. Please note I have already gone through the page on this site that give details on what documents to carry. But that is not able to answer my specific questions. Kindly help as I don't have much time.

1. Will maintaining a US bank account and NRI account after returning back from US be taken as a negative from visa issuance point-of-view? Should I refrain from mentioning about them?

2. As I already supported my father's firm earlier on a project, can I get a letter from my father's company certifying that the course that I am planning to pursue is in line with the work I would be handling as a partner in my father's firm once I return back. Will this help in showing my intent to return back?

3. Can I show the property papers that are in my parents name?

4. Do I need to carry my father's bank account statement too?

5. As my US tax return proof, can I just carry my W2? I don't remember getting any other signed document back from US Government after filing my returns.

6. Will copies of mutual funds and life insurance policy investments help?

7. Any other suggestions?

Please advise!

Thanks.

1. No. Does not matter. Do not hide it nor volunteer information unless asked.

2. Could Help, VOs generally don't look at the docs. They ask you and your answer telling the same would help. Generally, the number of family members you have in home country, your answers at the visa interview, your family property (needn't be in your name) provide support for your return after your studies. If you have 100% aid and good scores, the visa will mostly get approved without any problems.

3. Sure. They don't look at property papers. You need an itemized statement from a CA.

4. Not needed as you have 100% aid but doesnt hurt.

5. You need to carry W2 and your 1040 return filed. IRS doesn't acknowledge tax payments.

6. Sure

7. You seen to have got it all.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply! This helps a lot.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X