Dependent in H4 tranferring to F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dependent in H4 tranferring to F1

My wife currently in H4 status wants to pursue MS degree in a university in US.

1) Wot are all the pro's and con's on pursuing masters being in H4 status

2) If at all her status got converted to F1 from H4, will she be still a legal dependent of myself ??

Your expert replies will be more valuable.

Thanks,
    Karthik.

1. H4 - All fee from out of pocket, no job, no TA/RA, No internships. Some states offer instate tuition. No OPT/CPT

F1 - On campus job, TA/RA possibility, Intern/Coop chances, Fee waiver, Out of state fee, eligible for OPT/CPT after 9 months.

2. She can be claimed as a dependent on tax returns if that is your question. As far as status goes, she is independent on her own status and not dependent on you and has to take care not to violate F1 status rules.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Sir / Madam ,

Thanks for your reply. It would be much appreciable if you could reply for below.

Provided now if she opts to F1 , then

1) She will be no longer legal dependent to me (H1 Holder).

2) No dependent tax allowance can be claimed by me at the end of the year.

3) Does this mean she should not reveal she's married nor her hubby is in US to support her ??

4) Can I sponsor for her studies ??

Thanks,

Karthik Dhinakaran

Comment

Originally posted by karthikdinakaran
        Sir / Madam ,

Thanks for your reply. It would be much appreciable if you could reply for below.

Provided now if she opts to F1 , then

1) She will be no longer legal dependent to me (H1 Holder).

2) No dependent tax allowance can be claimed by me at the end of the year.

3) Does this mean she should not reveal she's married nor her hubby is in US to support her ??

4) Can I sponsor for her studies ??

Thanks,

Karthik Dhinakaran
        Sir, please take the time to read the responses... these questions were answered.

1) As far as immigration is concerned, No.
        2) Yes, you can.
        3) She should not conceal any information.
        4) Yes, you can.
        Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

Thanks for earlier responses.

does GC processing (Labor filed) impacts while converting h4 to f1 ??

Thanks.

Comment

Not unless I485 was filed.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X