Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 marrying US citizen, need help!!!

I need help,

I am a US citizen and I brought my fiance here on a student visa. he came in july and he is about to complete one semester at school. We want to get married and apply for his green card. Is it too soon? will they deny us since he's only been here since July? once we apply for his green card they told us that we can take him out of the SEVIS program at school while waiting for it to process and he won't be obligated to take 12 credits. If he only takes one class next semester while waiting for the green card, will that affect him getting it? we want him to be a resident so we can work and also his tuition will be a lot cheaper so this is why we need to get his papers done now. Another question i have is that if i get a co-sponsor, do they have to been in the same state as me and my fiance? Please let me know what i need to do. Thanks

This smells like fraud, he got a student visa with the intention of just marrying you and filing for a GC.

I'd wait at least 1 year before doing so... continue in school and in F1 status. At least finish the 1st year.
    Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

I can see how it may look like fraud, but we love each other very much and have overcome many obstacle to be together. Another reason why We want to marry right now is because my parents who are not living with him, are trying to do their best to get him deported because of racism reasons. They are making nasty threats towards him because they don't approve in our interracial relationship . We have been through a lot to just get him here so we can be together and i can't imagine him having to leave because my parents succeed. If we are married, we can move away from them and both work and attend school and this is why we want to marry right away. Do you think that they will not approve his visa even if they see that our relationship is real and that we Really love each other ? Can my parents really cause him problems with school and his visa? Can they deport him based on lies?
      Last edited by brook1989; 10-17-2008, 11:13 PM.

Comment

I think you should get married soon and apply for a GC. It takes about 6 months to get it I think in your case, so to be on the safer side he can be enrolled full time in school until he gets the PR. Why not consider completing the degree that he came here for or some other degree. Any education will always be helpful for him to get jobs later.
        Last edited by kabkaba; 10-19-2008, 12:58 PM.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by brook1989
          I can see how it may look like fraud, but we love each other very much and have overcome many obstacle to be together. Another reason why We want to marry right now is because my parents who are not living with him, are trying to do their best to get him deported because of racism reasons. They are making nasty threats towards him because they don't approve in our interracial relationship . We have been through a lot to just get him here so we can be together and i can't imagine him having to leave because my parents succeed. If we are married, we can move away from them and both work and attend school and this is why we want to marry right away. Do you think that they will not approve his visa even if they see that our relationship is real and that we Really love each other ? Can my parents really cause him problems with school and his visa? Can they deport him based on lies?
          Your parents CAN'T just get him deported... HOWEVER, from what you are saying... He did not apply for a visa for the two of you to be together... he applied for a NON Immigrant visa, to come study and then go back home.

So, the fact he entered with that visa, and right away marries you and forgets about school will get him accused of fraud and misrepresentation, which could get him banned for life from the USA.

Your parents have a better chance of getting him deported if he marries you right away and drops out of school. Because the evidence of "fraud" reeks in this case... but they can not accuse him of anything if he maintains his F1 student status...

USCIS will ask for a lot of evidence of a life together... and support of your parents would be a good thing to have. Your best bet is to sit and wait... do not get married and file right away.

You should have filed for a K1 fiancee visa if your intention was to marry him.
          Disclaimer: The information you obtain from me at this forum is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X