Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Status change from OPT to F2

Dear Immihelp Members:

Please suggest me what is best for me after reading my situation. Thanks in advance for reading my post and giving time for reply.

Here is situation:

I got married in 2006(My husband finished his MS from USA in 2006 and got admitted in Ph.D in 2006)but I came on F1 visa to USA in 2006 because I got admission and full funding before my marriage for USA. When I applied for visa that time I was unmarried and later I didn't change my status etc. My husband and me both has F1 visa.

Now I am on OPT since August 2008 and its valid till 2009 August. My area is Sports and I am working in Pre-School/child care and after school program as a teacher(its not highly paid but its at same place where my husband is getting his Ph.d and I am getting experience too). I have graduated with sports degree and I know its not fully related to my job but still I get many opportunity to work with kids in same field and also I have a letter from my employer that my degree in Physical Education helps a lot maintaining rules of games and develop motor skills in kids etc. She wrote this letter when I applied for my parents B2 visa. My employer can write more regarding this.

My question is : I want to visit INDIA in dec 08 for 1 or 1.5 months. What should I do? Should I try to RE-ENTER with this job? Or it will be RISKY?? What are the chances. I don't want to loose this opportunity to work till my OPT is valid but at the same time its very important for me to visit India because I haven't visited since 2.5 years and my brother is getting married in Dec.

OR OR OR

Should I try for F2 visa? My husband is getting his Ph.D with full funding so there is another option that I can apply for F2 visa BUT what will be the chances though they will know I masters from here and I have OPT etc what are the chances of getting F2 after all these things.

I am sorry that my post is too long but its very important to explain everything so that I can get right suggestion. Please its very urgent reply ASAP. Thanks a lot!

You sure can change to F2 but you will lose your OPT and will not be legally allowed to work. Otherwise you can re-enter on F1 and apply for change of status to F2 about 1 week before your OPT ends. They will send you a new I-94 once that application is approved.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I also would like to continue my OPT till it ends but I have to go India in Dec and I am not SURE whether I will be able to RE-ENTER on OPT with same job what I have right now because I already explained about my job that its not that great and directly related but some how it is. Please advice as soon as possible. Thanks once again.

Comment

Please someone reply....its very urgent..Thanks in advance!

Comment

Transfer from opt to f2

Hi,
          If anyone can give me an advice l really appreciate it.
          l am currently on OPT and it will end October 2015, my boyfriend is on F1 visa. We are thinking to get married soon since we are getting married l will apply for F2 Visa. We are both in the USA right now.
          Can we apply here in USA or should we go back to our country and apply over there?
          Has anyone out there change his/ her visa to F2 while on OPT?
          What is the procedure?
          How long does the process takes?
          Which form should we file?

Thank you so much...

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X