Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Changing Schools on F1 Visa

Hello,
    I have some questions changing my school that I got my passport stamped. Here is the situation. I have multiple I20s for Spring Semester and I got VISA from Chennai consulate for School A. The orientation for School A starts in January First week. But I would really like to attend School B and hence would like my I20/SEVIS information to be transfered to school B. I would like to know the following:

1)Is it safe to transfer my admission to school B after I land in US rather than do it from India.
    2)Also School B is in California whereas School A is in Texas. I am planning to land in California in MId December and reuqest for a transfer by sending the forms by fax. I already talked to School A and they said it is possible and that I dont need to go to school A in person. But my question is: would I get some questions from the officer at the port of entry on why I have come to California. I have my unlce who lives there and can always show the proof.
    3)Now the real complication is: Classes for School B (that is in California) do not start until Apri 1st week. What that means is that I have to wait 3.5 months to start my MS program (after landing in US and getting transfer to School B). Would this cause any issues to Visa status and my I20 (since my SEVIS information will be updated with INS as soon as the transfer is done towards the end of December. I am trying to check with School B on this and they do not seem to know much. What would be the risk in doing this? If the problems do not surface immediately, would I Have any future problems when I aplly for I20 extension or OPT or H1B etc down the line? This is the most important thing bothering me.
    4)I also have the other option of transfering the school while I am in India and then land in California just 10-15 days before School B starts. But I am worried that I might have lot of questions from the officer at port of entry and might face complications (if INS SEVIS information is not updated in time).
    5)School B also has an early Winter quarter which starts in Januray First week. Can I reuqest the school to attend Winter quarter rather than Spring quarter (starts in April 1st week).?

I know I am asking lot of questions. But I sincerely appreciate any input/insights you can provide to me on this as I need to make a decision very soon (in the next few days) on what approach I need to take. Alternatively if you can point me to any resources that can enlighten me on this is also greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time for reading this.

Thanks

Kailesh

I think you need to enter with the school name mentioned on your Visa and with that I-20. Attend at lease 1 sem there and only then you can transfer.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Transfer to another school without enrolling in first school

Hello

I have already got the F1 stamp for university A but might need to change to university B soon after (within a month) I land in the US. When I spoke with the international student advisor of the university A( for which I have the F1 stamp), she said that I cannot transfer to university B unless I have attended at least one semester in the university A.

Could someone let me know if the university A can really stop me from transferring to university B if I do not want to attend even one semester in university A.

Has anyone done such a transfer by entering the US on the F1 visa stamp of university A and transfer to university B without joining the university A.

I would be extremely thankful for this insight.
      Regards,
      Akshya.

Comment

You need to enter using new university's I-20 if you want to attend that.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Transfer to another school without enrolling in first school

Thanks a lot for responding.

Do you mean to say that I should enter the US with the visa for school A and I 20 of school B. Is such a thing possible ? Would the officer at the port of entry create any problems ?

Is'nt doing a transfer a safer approach ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X