visa renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• visa renewal

I'm currently studying in the U.S. as an F-1 student. My visa will expire next May. I'm planning to renew my visa this winter at one of consulars either in Mexico and Canada. According to the official guideline, it will be most likely that I'd be able to renew my visa. However, there is another issue. I got married to my wife here in the State, who has a R-1 visa and her visa will also expire next May. She need to change her R-1 to F-2. But my question is, Do we have to attend the visa renewal interview together? or Can we do separately? We're thinking that I would renew my visa in Mexico and she would renew her visa in Korea, our home country, merely because of our circumstances. She wants to visit Korea and I'm not going with her. And it's hard for her and my son to travel to Mexico together. It'd be easier for my wife and my son to fly back to Korea and get some rest over there. I hope this makes sense to you, and you will be able to answer my question. Thank you.

Hello

Hello,
    I was almost in the same situation.You better consult an attorney because when i was in the states on a B-2 visa,I had to change to F1 and i wanted to go to mexico or canada as a third country national and get my visa.I consulted an attorney who looked at my file and said that mexico is not accepting any visa applications from third country nations for F-1.Then i had to go to canada and the canada people asked me to go back to my homecountry and get my visa.
    Also keep in mind that,if you go to a third country,i:e,Canada or Mexico,and if the consulate doesnt give or doesnt wish to renew your visa,your existing visa will be cancelled and you need to return back to your homecountry from mexico or canada.You wont even be allowed to go back to USA to collect your belongings.You could still try as your visa is a RENEWAL which might be possible as i saw some people who renewed their J visas.
    And I even saw a couple who came to the canadian consulate together and got their visas together but they both were on J visas.
    But I would suggest consulting an attorney .I would say go to your homecountry and get your visa.All three of you could go to korea and get your visas because the USConsulate would be always happy if the person does everything in his homecountry,but again I say this depending on my experience.
    THIS IS A FRIENDLY ADVICE BUT NOT A LEGAL ONE

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X