Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-marriage passport change

Hi,
    I am a student in the US. I will be going to India in another 15 days to get married. My fiance is in India and she has her passport with her maiden name in it.

Now, she does not wish to change her name in the documents. So her name will still stay as her maiden name. Accordingly, I got her dependent I20 made from my University with her maiden name.

So now, after I read certain posts on this website, I figure that she will not have to change her passport. But what bothers me is that her old passport will not have my name as her spouse's name. Will this be a problem at the visa office?

Also, since I do not have her name as my spouse's name in my passport, will the immigration office at the port of entry create any problems? I cannot get my passport changed for that in the little time while I am in India.

So all in all, my question is that will my wife and I have to change our passports to reflect our spouse's names (eachother's names) on them? We both will be going with our original names after marriage.

Thanks

There is no requirement to have spouse name on passport or be bothered about it. Marriage certificate will suffice for visa purposes.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X