Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestion: F-1 visa extension

Dear All,

I am a PhD student in Wayne State University, Detroit. I came here as a MS student in Civil Engineering. I am continuing as a PhD student after completing my Masters last winter (Winter 2008). My old I-20 (for MS) was valid up to August 2008, so the Calcutta US Consulate issued me F-1 visa which is valid till August 2008 (2 years: 2006 to 2008). Now, for the PhD program, the University has issued me a new I-20 which is valid up to August 2012. I am planning to visit India this December and to get my Visa stamped (extended). But is there any chance that this visa can be rejected by the US consulate? My new I-20 (PhD) is showing funding of $42000/9 months as I was admitted in the PhD program as a Fellow. I am doing my PhD in Transportation Engineering (a specialization of Civil Engineering). So is there any problem of rejection? Do i need to get any document from my PhD supervisor? What else do i need? Kindly help.

With any F1 visa, you have to prove ties (familial, financial) to home country. In the absence of it, there is a possibility of a rejection. You can take letters from ISO, Advisor etc and just hope for the best.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X