Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New I-20 with F1 visa still valid ? or transfer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New I-20 with F1 visa still valid ? or transfer?

Hello,

I spent 4 months in the US studying english, with a F1 visa and an I-20.
    I went back to my country and i still have 10 days before the end of the 60 days period.
    I'd like to go back to the US with a different school and i was wondering :

- do i need to ask for a transfer before the end of the 60 days period ? does it matter that i already left the US ?
    or do i also need to actually start classes before the end of the 60 days period ?

- if i dont get a transfer, can i ask for a new I-20 and keep my F1 visa which is still valid ? because if i just use the same visa, the name of the school on the visa wont be the same that the new one on the new I-20, and maybe not the same with the SEVIS number.

Thank you.

Hi there,

I am an F1 student in the usa. Yes u can transfer to any school u wish as long they offer an 1 20. You cannot use an 1 20 of another school to study with. What u need to do is get another 1 20 of the school u want 2 go to.

You can transfer to as many schools as u wish so long ur status are good. But u have to keep all ur 1 20's with u of all the schools you have been to.

One time I was coming back from a vacation in Mexico and at the entry of the usa, the immigration asked me to give them all my 1'20s of schools I have been to. The immigration officer then told me that I am supposed to hand in 1 20 back to the immigration when I transfer to another school.

G luck.

Comment

You cannot transfer from outside the US.
      You just need a new I-20 for initial admittance from any school and you can use that with your current visa to enter and join the program.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by shiro View Post
        The immigration officer then told me that I am supposed to hand in 1 20 back to the immigration when I transfer to another school.
        Not true.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X