F-1 Student Visa Extension issue...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 Student Visa Extension issue...

My girlfriend is an international student El Salvador. She is studying in the USA (California, to be precise,) and due to budget cuts for her fashion courses in her school, she was unable to advance this semester, and had to apply for an extension.

She now needs two more semesters to complete her requirements, but was only granted 6 months. She is quite convinced there's absolutely no way she can get the extra 6 months without leaving the country for a half year at least.

I am a US citizen, so I'm not familiar with how these things work; but I can't help but to question her certainty, as it seems as though it would be odd for them to just tell her to pack up and leave with nothing after all the hard work she put in to get her degree.

Can something be done to allow her to stay the extra 6 months needed to get her degree, or will she be forced to go back and re-apply? Does her school have the ability to aid her in any way, shape, or form?

She had a conversation with her International Adviser in the past, and she made it sound as though she is at the mercy of her embassy, and if they don't give her the time she needs, there's nothing that can be done. I, however, find that to be quite harsh and unfair.

I'd love any and all help possible!

Thank you so much for your time!

F1 students are usually admitted as D/S "Duration of status". So they are allowed to stay in the US as long as they remain full-time students. If her I-94 given at entry states D/S, and she maintains full time course of study, she should be fine. School's DSO's are the best judges and most well informed in such situations.

Embassies are usually involved only in cases of visas, which are only entry documents. Stay within the US is governed by I-94.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      F1 students are usually admitted as D/S "Duration of status". So they are allowed to stay in the US as long as they remain full-time students. If her I-94 given at entry states D/S, and she maintains full time course of study, she should be fine. School's DSO's are the best judges and most well informed in such situations.

Embassies are usually involved only in cases of visas, which are only entry documents. Stay within the US is governed by I-94.
      I don't think anyone could have been more helpful than that! Thank you SO much, kabkaba, for making this clear to me. I'm very glad to hear the news, and will pass this on right away!

I really appreciate your help!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X