F-1 and H-4 confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 and H-4 confusion

I am a little confused. Any help would be appreciated.

I am currently in India. I have an I-20 from a university. I am planning to go to US Consulate to get an F-1 stamped. Meanwhile, I might be getting married soon to an H-1B holder currently in US but not sure at this point of time.

My questions are.

1. If I get my F-1 stamp and then come to US, how difficult is it to change to H-4.

2. If I get my F-1 stamp but get married before even entering US, what is the procedure to go back to US Consulate and get H-4. Would it cause any negative impact on the H-4.

3. If my F-1 petition gets rejectd and after I get married when I attempt to get the H-4, would the F-1 rejection have a negative bearing on this.

4. Finally, a general F-1 question. What happens if you have your F-1 stamped (and prior to entering US) but plan to defer to the next semester, would the Immigration folks have an issue with it.

thanks a lot!

1. If I get my F-1 stamp and then come to US, how difficult is it to change to H-4.

GETTING H4 - CHANGE OF STATUS IN THE US IS EASY.

2. If I get my F-1 stamp but get married before even entering US, what is the procedure to go back to US Consulate and get H-4. Would it cause any negative impact on the H-4.

YOU HAVE TO APPLY WITH MARRIAGE PICS, CERTIFICATE, YOUR SPOUSE'S DOCUMENTS SUCH AS H1B/PAYSTATEMENTS/W2S FOR ALL YEARS IN THE USA/LETTER FROM CURRENT EMPLOYER ETC.,

3. If my F-1 petition gets rejectd and after I get married when I attempt to get the H-4, would the F-1 rejection have a negative bearing on this.

NOT REALLY - THE ARE INDEPENDANT

4. Finally, a general F-1 question. What happens if you have your F-1 stamped (and prior to entering US) but plan to defer to the next semester, would the Immigration folks have an issue with it.

CHECK WITH SCHOOL.

This is not a legal advice. You may use at your own risk or contact a legal professional.

Comment

THAT"S a big no no. if you defer your start date then you must get a new I-20 and a new f1 visa

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X