Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2 to F1 visa interview - Husband on OPT STEM Extension

Hi,

I am on an F1 visa and am working full-time as a scientist on OPT STEM extension after PhD. I have about two more years remaining on my OPT. My wife, who is currently on F2, has received admissions from the two local universities that offer the course MS Taxation. Since on F2, she can only pursue the program part-time, she wants to convert to F1 so she can study full-time and finish the program in a time-bound fashion. She has her visa interview for F1 in July 3rd week in Chennai, India and will be traveling to India with our 2 year old toddler, who is a US citizen. We will be sponsoring her studies using our savings. Could someone please advice/share their experience on the following -

1. If the interviewer asks why convert to F1 when my wife can study on F2, what do you think is a good answer? Saying that she wants to pursue full-time rather than part-time on F2 is a fair answer?

2. How to prove the intent to return to her home country, India after her MS? She has her family in India but has no property of her own. We do intend to return to India after my OPT ends.

3. Are there any things to keep in mind or be prepared while facing the interview, given her situation?

4. My wife's F2 visa stamp is valid until August this year. What is the risk that her F2 visa is rejected, along with her F1 visa application? This will prevent her and our son to come back to US.

Thank you for your help.
    TD

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X