Help regarding F-1 situation of my wife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help regarding F-1 situation of my wife

My wife got admitted to a school in US for a two year MBA program and also got her F-1 status approved before joining the school. She has to register for the summer session starting May 18, 2010, as this was the admission date on her I-20 as well.

Unfortunately, based on reviews and personal preference, she no longer wants to pursue her MBA with this school. She has applied for other schools, but the decision to admit her is very likely to be made after May 18, 2010.

Also, the school where she is already admitted is not willing to issue her a new I-20 so that her admission can be deferred for the Fall term.

At this point we don't know what should be our course of action. Here are two important questions bothering us:-

1. Can she stay in F-1 status without joining the school on May 18, 2010? Then if she gets admitted to one of the other (preferred) schools, she does not have to apply for change of status to F-1.
    2. Is it preferable for her to go back to H4 status, and then re-instate her F-1 status once she is admitted to the school of her preference?

Also the programs she is interested in are one year MBA programs. Is it required to maintain F-1 status for an year to get an OPT?

Looking forward for much appreciated advice.

Thanks

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X