Query| Change of Status| H1 to F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query| Change of Status| H1 to F1

I am currently working on H1b visa. I am planning to go back to school this Fall 2010 and hence change my status to F1. I have following questions:

1) How much time does it take for change of status from H1b to F1? When would be a good time to send the documents to USCIS?

2) When would be an ideal time to let my employer know that I want to quit. I was thinking of first week of August; but is it okay to quit before the approved change of status comes?

3) Can I start my studies which will start in mid August 2010 even if I have not received approved change of status from USCIS by then?

Thanks

Originally posted by pramitsengupta View Post
    I am currently working on H1b visa. I am planning to go back to school this Fall 2010 and hence change my status to F1. I have following questions:

1) How much time does it take for change of status from H1b to F1? When would be a good time to send the documents to USCIS?
    Usually takes 2 months, may take less.
    2) When would be an ideal time to let my employer know that I want to quit. I was thinking of first week of August; but is it okay to quit before the approved change of status comes?
    You must maintain H1 status until COS approval is received.
    3) Can I start my studies which will start in mid August 2010 even if I have not received approved change of status from USCIS by then?
    Yes, but you must be maintaining H1 status.
    Thanks
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X