I-20 Expiration & OPT Start Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-20 Expiration & OPT Start Date

My I-20 expires on August 23rd 2010. I have filed for Summer graduation i.e. August 13th. Hopefully I should be in a position to complete all my course requirements by August 5th. If I plan to apply for OPT on August 1st can I give a start date of my OPT as October 1st? If I do so will I go out of status as my I-20 expired on August 23rd 2010
    Any information w.r.to above situation is highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Consult with your DSO as to the last date that you can apply for OPT and the last date that can be requested as start date. This depends on your last day of classes which must be before the last day mentioned on your I-20.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the response. The last day of class is August 13th. So I can have a start date of either August 13th or October 12th or any date between August 13th and October 12th. So as you said if I request for a start date of say for example, October 1st will I go out of status as my I-20 expires on August 23rd? I consulted with one of the DSO's but didn't get an convincing answer, hence posting here for a second opinion. Anyways will be meeting with another experienced DSO.

Comment

You are allowed 60 days after your last day of classes anyway. Having applied for OPT gives you further protection until a decision is made on OPT.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X