F1 visa expires. How to extend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 visa expires. How to extend?

My fiancee's F1 visa will expire on december 31st, 2010 and her I-20 is still valid until May 31st, 2012.

I know that she can stay in US on the basis of I-20. But she wants to visit India in december and she will be returning in mid-Junuary when visa will be expired.

Does she need to extend her visa before she leaves the country. Is it possible to do that while she is still in US or she must apply to embassy in India and go through interview again to extend her visa? How long is the process?

Please someone help.

It is better to travel before the visa expires. That will avoid a lot of hassles. Otherwise she has to apply for visa extension using the VFS site to re-enter the country. You can get an appointment when in India and can book it when in the US itself. Another thing I would advice is to ask the university International office. They will give best recommendations for travel cases.

Originally posted by rohitpatel View Post
    My fiancee's F1 visa will expire on december 31st, 2010 and her I-20 is still valid until May 31st, 2012.

I know that she can stay in US on the basis of I-20. But she wants to visit India in december and she will be returning in mid-Junuary when visa will be expired.

Does she need to extend her visa before she leaves the country. Is it possible to do that while she is still in US or she must apply to embassy in India and go through interview again to extend her visa? How long is the process?

Please someone help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X