Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue due to long last name on SSN

Hi

My name as per Indian Passport, US F1 Visa, American Driver's license, US Bank Account, US credit card:
    First Name: A
    Middle Name:
    Last Name: B C

But due to a character limitation the SSN officer adjusted my name and issued the SSN in the following format:
    First Name: A
    Middle Name: B
    Last Name: C

Will this at some point of time become a problem for me? For Tax returns and future H1Bs. What name should I be giving to companies that I work for here in America, should it be the name as per SSN?
    Last edited by sidlog94; 03-22-2022, 01:09 PM.

When it comes to verifying employment status (I-9) and taxes, this shouldn't be much of an issue. The visas and passports are the important thing to match.

Comment

Visa and passport matches flyingron but if my SSN name is different. Is that okay? Also when I start employment somewhere, I should stick to using the SSN name right?

Comment

You use the visa/passport name on anything official.

Comment

flyingron but won't that cause a mismatch with Tax filing? Because as per my passport the last name is "B C" and as per SSN the last name is "C". If I use my Visa/Passport information on official docs then my W2 will also be generated in this name. And if there is a mismatch then I fear IRS will flag it. Please guide me on this,

Comment

flyingron Also having my Indian passport name on Bank account would also imply that the Name on the bank account and SSN will not match, which will lead to IRS rejecting my direct deposit request for a tax refund.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X