Renewing visa with a passport about to expire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewing visa with a passport about to expire

My passport expires in a year and 3 months and my visa already expired. I’m thinking of leaving the US, renewing my visa and coming back in 3 months which leaves about a year for my passport to router login 192.168.l.l.link/ expire during my travel. I’m graduating in spring 2024. I know that there is 6 months valid period required for getting US visa but I’m confused what the time of reference is for the start of that period. Can I still leave and renew my visa, or should i renew my passport first? Thanks!
    Last edited by hyman; 09-22-2023, 07:04 AM.

First, why do you need to leave the US? Visas are only for entering, and if you don't need to leave and enter, you don't need a visa.

Second, what country is your passport from? Passports from countries not in the 6-month club need to be valid for at least 6 months at the time of entry, and thus also at the time of visa application. Passports from countries in the 6-month club only need to be valid (for any length of time) at the time of entry, and thus you can get a visa with your passport having less than 6 months of validity.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X