Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can one reapply for the OPT once it has been denied?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can one reapply for the OPT once it has been denied?

Hey guys! I am seeking help and advice regarding an issue that have with my OPT application. To help you understand what I am dealing with, please let me explain my situation first:

Before I graduated this December ( a week ago ), I applied for the OPT in September, with help of a DSO person at my school. At first, the DSO told me wrong amount for the application ( $300 instead of $380 ), so my application was sent back at the beginning of December. I promptly wrote a new check with correct amount and overnighted it to the USCIS. Now that I graduated I went home to Europe for holidays, planning on returning to the US in January, when I am supposed to start working with the OPT.

Last night I checked my online bank account and noticed that USCIS deposited the check ( the correct one ). When I looked at the back of processed check I noticed that among bunch of numbers and codes, there was also written in small font: "RejectEmployment". I assumed that meant that my application was denied, though I didn't get the official response yet. I don't have the case status code to check online ( it's not on the check either ), and my DSO is unavailable as she is out of her office for Christmas.

My question is the following: If my OPT application was rejected ( for whatever reason ), is there a way to apply again given that whatever errors were corrected? I suspect that my DSO made mistakes on the application form, I don't see any other reason why my application should have been denied considering I haven't done anything that could void my eligibility and had a very good record on my transcripts.

I am getting worried as I am well aware that I cannot work until I receive the EAD, and now I am also concerned that I won't even be able to enter the country ( though my F1 visa is valid till August 2011 ). to make things worse, I already signed a lease for an apartment near the new job and bought my airline tickets. I have lots of financial obligations in the US, and unless I start the OPT I won't be able to meet them.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as it is extremely valuable to me at this time.

Best regards,

PT

A check is processed before by the mail processing unit and a decision will only be made later by an IO. A mail processing unit may be indicating that it was a previously rejected application or something to that effect.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thank you for you your prompt response. Knowing that the text on back of that check was just from mail processing certainly gives me some peace of mind. Everything should be in order, perhaps I just worry too much. Though it is really hard to not to as my DSO has messed things up before Thanks again for your reply.

Best regards,

PT

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X