Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 conversion.

Dear All,

I am on H4 Visa in US. I am planning to join a University for a 1 year program. I can still join the Univ on my H4, but I want this to convert to F1.

I have some queries around this. Please help.

1. Whats the process to convert H4 to F1? Is there a petition I have to file for F1?

2. If Petition for F1 gets approved, do I have to go back to India for stamping or I can join the college on H4 stamp along with F1 approved petition?

Please reply. Your help will be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sheetal.

Visa in your passport is an entry document, it has no implication on your stay or status in the US. I-94 determines your status.
    There are two ways of changing your status. 1. To file I-539, search for form and instructions online. or 2. Leave the US, obtain an F1 Visa and return. By both these ways you will get a new F1 I-94.
    First you need to get admitted to a qualified university and program of study. They will issue you an I-20 which you can then use to change your status.
    Both the above options are not guaranteed, F1 requires that you have no immigrant intent. This way I-539 is less risky but whenever you leave the US you will need F1 Visa anyway.
    Be careful while selecting your school. Make sure the degree is nationally acredited. Recently some students at a fraudelent university (TVU) had to face deportation.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X