No announcement yet.

F2 holder, SSN name change (rare case?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2 holder, SSN name change (rare case?)

Hi, everyone who's viewing this post,

Here is my situation. Currently, I'm on F2, my husband is on F1 (OPT). I was on F1 before, and I got my SSN back then (working in the university).

The name on my SSN is my maiden name as which the bio page of my passport shows. According to the policy of my home country, the passport holder's name will never been changed through marriage, BUT, they did add a note page saying "the passport holder's name can also be spelled as (first name+husband's last name)".

I changed my status from F1 to F2, and the new I-20 shows my married name as I requested. However, I went to the DMV to renew my driver's license, and they said if I want the married name on it, I have to go to the SSN office to change it there first.

I went there as they told me to, unfortunately, the officer told me that "there's no such option in their computer system" (he showed the screen to me to verify what he said), since F2 holders are not supposed to have an SSN.

Has anyone ever been through this situation and successfully changed the name on SSN?

I think the SSA officer did not understand your problem. Many people change their names for various reasons and SSA should have some system to change your name on the SS Card. Your visa status should not matter. If the officer was trying to enter your application as new SSN application, then F2 status will stop them from doing that.
    You can try again explaining your case clearly. Keep trying and some way will show up. May be you can try writing to SSA.
    Did you change status or travelled with an F2 Visa? What name does the Visa/I-94 or change of status approval notice have?
    Last edited by kabkaba; 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      I think the SSA officer did not understand your problem. Many people change their names for various reasons and SSA should have some system to change your name on the SS Card. Your visa status should not matter. If the officer was trying to enter your application as new SSN application, then F2 status will stop them from doing that.
      You can try again explaining your case clearly. Keep trying and some way will show up. May be you can try writing to SSA.
      Did you change status or travelled with an F2 Visa? What name does the Visa/I-94 or change of status approval notice have?
      I don't think they understand my problem, either. I just called the SSN, and they said whatever the local office says, it is what it is I'm going tomorrow again.

I changed my status in the States, and the new I-20 is under my new number, as well the new I-94, of course the cover letter of the status approval.

I'm going to my home country next week to get the F2 visa stamp at the embassy, and I've already filed under my new name. But again, even everything shows I'm using my new name, as long as the record of my SSN doesn't change, the DMV won't give me a driver's license under the new name, which means numerous institutes in the States (banks, post offices, airport security...) will not just let me pass easily.

I've also just filed a complaint to the SSN, but not sure it would make a difference. I am going again tomorrow, and wish me good luck!

Comment

Need help

I am currently in a similar situation. I am on a F2 visa and need to change my name in SSN to obtain driver's license. I went to the SSN office and they told me it is not possible. Please let me know if you were able to change your name in SSN. If so let me know the next steps:-)

Originally posted by ysd View Post
        I don't think they understand my problem, either. I just called the SSN, and they said whatever the local office says, it is what it is I'm going tomorrow again.

I changed my status in the States, and the new I-20 is under my new number, as well the new I-94, of course the cover letter of the status approval.

I'm going to my home country next week to get the F2 visa stamp at the embassy, and I've already filed under my new name. But again, even everything shows I'm using my new name, as long as the record of my SSN doesn't change, the DMV won't give me a driver's license under the new name, which means numerous institutes in the States (banks, post offices, airport security...) will not just let me pass easily.

I've also just filed a complaint to the SSN, but not sure it would make a difference. I am going again tomorrow, and wish me good luck!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X