Sevis pending?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sevis pending?

I had to take an emergency flight home back to England because of the death of my father, and because my visa was already expired when I left the country, I had to reapply.

I was told that I need an extension of stay, because now I can't start college again until the next semester.

My student adviser is seriously taking a long time to do things.

He claims that the 'correction is still pending with SEVIS', but it has been over a month now, and I'm getting inpatient. I'm paying for rent and bills for an apartment I'm not living in. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Unfortunately not. There is little your adviser can do either. SEVIS data fixes do take a long time and there is no way of tracking those.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

re: sevis pending

Hello,

So, did you leave a program and your SEVIS record was terminated, and now your school is getting your SEVIS record reactivated?

If so, if you provide your school advisor with your flight details (include when you departed as well as flight to return) they can request that the date correction be expedited. But you must be starting school again within 30 days to do this, and have no more than 5 months since your I-20 was terminated.

Another option is for your school to issue a new initial I-20, but you'd have to pay the $200 SEVIS fee again and you'd lose any time accrued towards F-1 benefits, like OPT.

Comment

Originally posted by DSO View Post
        Hello,

So, did you leave a program and your SEVIS record was terminated, and now your school is getting your SEVIS record reactivated?

If so, if you provide your school advisor with your flight details (include when you departed as well as flight to return) they can request that the date correction be expedited. But you must be starting school again within 30 days to do this, and have no more than 5 months since your I-20 was terminated.

Another option is for your school to issue a new initial I-20, but you'd have to pay the $200 SEVIS fee again and you'd lose any time accrued towards F-1 benefits, like OPT.
        I didn't 'leave' the program, I had to leave the country, but I could not return like I planned because my visa had expired.

The school adviser has requested for it to be expedited...but that was a month ago.

And yes, being issued a new I-20 is not an option for me.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X