Renewal of F1 visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renewal of F1 visa

I am currently studying at U.S and wish to renew my F1 visa to complete my study at U.S. I have two question regarding booking a data for appointment.

1. Could you please tell me at which locations I am eligible to take my interview. My hometown is Tinsukia, in Assam. And, I would also like to inform that I have taken my previous F1 visa interview at Chennai consulate because I was doing my undergraduate at Bangalore.

2. I could see only June 1 as an open data at all the consulate. Could you please confirm if all the dates are booked for the month of June or they are yet to be released.

Thank You

First of all you don't have to renew your Visa unless you are traveling outside the US.

Secondly, with recent rule change you can apply at any Consulate in India. Normally dates are released 2 to 3 weeks in advance only. So it is likely that future June dates are yet not released.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
      First of all you don't have to renew your Visa unless you are traveling outside the US.

Secondly, with recent rule change you can apply at any Consulate in India. Normally dates are released 2 to 3 weeks in advance only. So it is likely that future June dates are yet not released.
      Thank you for the information

Comment

F1 Visa renewal while on OPT

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post

Hello Kabkaba,

I am in a similar situation. Currently i am on my OPT extension - set to expire in July 2013 but my F1 visa is expiring in May 2012. I need to go to India in July 2012 for a family function and will thus need to get the visa renewed for re-entry.

I was curious if I can attend the interview at ANY consulate. You say that with 'recent rule change' it is possible. But I am not very sure about that. Because the VFS website says that it is possible only for people who are in the US on a 'work permit' (see the consular location section on the vfs website).

But then I had others telling me I can go for interview anywhere as long as I have a good enough reason to do choose something not in my consular region. I will just need to explain the officer. Or, if I can provide a friends address in that region it should be okay too. So, I got conflicting views on that. I am not even sure what is the way they know our residing region. While one VFS staff told me that I will need to bring some address proof other one said I need not. I just dont want to be sent back because of applying in the wrong consulate region.

Any clarifications would be appreciated.

Thanks,
        Sri

Comment

Hello Kabkaba,

I am in a similar situation. Currently i am on my OPT extension - set to expire in July 2013 but my F1 visa is expiring in May 2012. I need to go to India in July 2012 for a family function and will thus need to get the visa renewed for re-entry.

I was curious if I can attend the interview at ANY consulate. You say that with 'recent rule change' it is possible. But I am not very sure about that. Because the VFS website says that it is possible only for people who are in the US on a 'work permit' (see the consular location section on the vfs website).

But then I had others telling me I can go for interview anywhere as long as I have a good enough reason to do choose something not in my consular region. I will just need to explain the officer. Or, if I can provide a friends address in that region it should be okay too. So, I got conflicting views on that. I am not even sure what is the way they know our residing region. While one VFS staff told me that I will need to bring some address proof other one said I need not. I just dont want to be sent back because of applying in the wrong consulate region.

Any clarifications would be appreciated.

Thanks,
          Sri

Comment

Pls advice

I came to TexasA&M university in 2009. I am aPhD student in chemistry. I did get a4 yrs visa. I am willing to renew my visa as I am going to graduate in 2015. Please let me know is it possible that I would get 221g again. I id not change my school,subject and area of research. My GPA is also 4.0.
            Please give me some advice Thanks
            bbb123

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X