Complicated F1 situation.. Any help is greatly appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complicated F1 situation.. Any help is greatly appreciated

I was working in US on L1 visa for 4+ years. My assignment got over and I am back in India now. While I was there I started my PG (MBA) and completed first semester. As my assignment got over I was no more allowed to be in US under L1. I didn’t apply for Change of Status (COS) from L1 to F1 as I had a need to visit India. Now that I am India I want to apply for F1 visa targeting Summer 2012. Here are question I have at this point…
    1) Since F1 is non-immigration visa and given my case of 4+yrs already in US, are there any complexity in F1 interview? Would a interviewer think that I am trying to continue stay in US rather than continue my studies?
    P.S: I have college admission letter, I-20, First semester grad sheet with me.
    2) Six year rule: This is more a fear than a question… When I graduate (May 2014) can a apply for H1? Or will the six year rule count against me? I would have 4+ yrs of US work exp (on L1) and ~2yrs for studies (on F1). That will sum up to ~6 continuous years in US. Will there be any issue when applying for H1 at that point? Or the 6 yr count reset when i enter US as a student?

Any help is greatly appreciated…. Thanks in advance…

Originally posted by calonixgandhi View Post
    I was working in US on L1 visa for 4+ years. My assignment got over and I am back in India now. While I was there I started my PG (MBA) and completed first semester. As my assignment got over I was no more allowed to be in US under L1. I didn’t apply for Change of Status (COS) from L1 to F1 as I had a need to visit India. Now that I am India I want to apply for F1 visa targeting Summer 2012. Here are question I have at this point…
    1) Since F1 is non-immigration visa and given my case of 4+yrs already in US, are there any complexity in F1 interview? Would a interviewer think that I am trying to continue stay in US rather than continue my studies?
    P.S: I have college admission letter, I-20, First semester grad sheet with me.

You should expect questions about why you chose this school, why you chose this program etc.

2) Six year rule: This is more a fear than a question… When I graduate (May 2014) can a apply for H1? Or will the six year rule count against me? I would have 4+ yrs of US work exp (on L1) and ~2yrs for studies (on F1). That will sum up to ~6 continuous years in US. Will there be any issue when applying for H1 at that point? Or the 6 yr count reset when i enter US as a student?

Unless you have spent 1 year outside the US, your previous L1 stay will count against any L1 or H1 limits.

Any help is greatly appreciated…. Thanks in advance…
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks KabKaba for your reply...
      Just a follow up to question 2:
      When I graduate on May 2014, I will still be eligible for ~2 Yrs in H1 or L1. Am I correct? If a company is willing to do GC for me then i can stay continuously, right?

Different Scenario:
      Lets say I get F1 visa approved and I go to US this summer. Can I apply for job and transfer to H1 based on my previous experience and begin working Oct 2012? Will it be a issue (in H1 processing) as I will be switching to work visa within months?

Thanks for your help...

Comment

Originally posted by calonixgandhi View Post
        Thanks KabKaba for your reply...
        Just a follow up to question 2:
        When I graduate on May 2014, I will still be eligible for ~2 Yrs in H1 or L1. Am I correct? If a company is willing to do GC for me then i can stay continuously, right?

6 years minus past L1/H1 stay.

Different Scenario:
        Lets say I get F1 visa approved and I go to US this summer. Can I apply for job and transfer to H1 based on my previous experience and begin working Oct 2012? Will it be a issue (in H1 processing) as I will be switching to work visa within months?

That is possible.

Thanks for your help...
        See above.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X