Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1 COS

Hi all,

I am in H4 right now and planning to get an associate degree in computer programming and get my OPT. But I have already done my Bachelors and masters in computer science degree in India. Here are my questions:

1. What are the chances for my F1 Visa getting rejected. Since I already have a Master's degree?
    2. I am planning to start my classes this fall (August 2012) so I dont think I have time to start my classes with F1. Can I start my classes with a H4 status. If I do that what if my F1 status gets rejected after 3 months.
    3. Is it a good idea to an associate degree in a community college? What are my other options of studies?
    4. My goal is to get the OPT and I am trying to satisfy all the criteria for that, being a Full time student for 1 year. But this degree takes 1 year and 9 months to complete. Is there any other degree / program that I could do to get my OPT?
    5. 74 credits are needed for this degree. Do any of you think I can complete it in 1 year? The earlier I complete the better.

Please help me understand.
    Thanks for your time.

Good Luck
    Originally posted by nmeena28 View Post
    Hi all,

I am in H4 right now and planning to get an associate degree in computer programming and get my OPT. But I have already done my Bachelors and masters in computer science degree in India. Here are my questions:

1. What are the chances for my F1 Visa getting rejected. Since I already have a Master's degree?Not sure on this one. There are people who go ahead and get an AS/AAS degree afte a bachelor's or master's but this is usually in a different field of study and so it sounds more "acceptable". In your case you have nothing to lose anyway - applying for an F-1 COS should be your first step
    2. I am planning to start my classes this fall (August 2012) so I dont think I have time to start my classes with F1. Can I start my classes with a H4 status. If I do that what if my F1 status gets rejected after 3 months.Yes, you may start on H04. Infact, if you file your application ASAP, you may get approval before classes start. In the case that your COS is denied then you can choose to complete the semester on H-4 or drop-out of classes. However, for getting a refund you need to drop-out before a certain date. This is usually within 2-3 weeks of the semester start date.
    3. Is it a good idea to an associate degree in a community college? What are my other options of studies?This is your personal choice. Personally,I don't see anything wrong.
    4. My goal is to get the OPT and I am trying to satisfy all the criteria for that, being a Full time student for 1 year. But this degree takes 1 year and 9 months to complete. Is there any other degree / program that I could do to get my OPT? An Associates degree is your best bet. Good Luck. there are certificate options also available. For example , a post-master's certificate.
    5. 74 credits are needed for this degree. Do any of you think I can complete it in 1 year? The earlier I complete the better.74 credits is very hard to complete in one year(2 semesters). Some community colelge offer summer and winter classes, so you can take advantage of that. Signing up for 12-15 credits per semester is a good idea. However, since you know most of the stuff from your bachelor's a masters degree, you may be able to do a few more credits per semester. However, in your first semester, I suggest that you sign-up for atmost 15 credits. You could increase the course load in the following semesters.

Please help me understand.
    Thanks for your time.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X