X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TN Visa: contractor, taxes and traveling

Hello,

I am a Canadian Citizen looking to get a TN visa. I have some questions:

- can I get a TN visa as an independent contractor? I have a company that wants to hire me but not as an employee, just as a contractor. Can I get a TN visa with the contract?

- in this case do I pay Social Security etc in the US? Where do I file taxes?

- do I need to be at a Canada-US border in order to get the TN? I am going to Europe for a few days before I start work. Can I fly from Europe straight to the US and ask for a TN?

- if I travel while on the TN do I have to get a new TN when coming back? Is it any different if I travel to Canada or if I travel overseas?

thanks
    christos

- do I need to be at a Canada-US border in order to get the TN? I am going to Europe for a few days before I start work. Can I fly from Europe straight to the US and ask for a TN?

Before flying, make sure you call the POE office the one you are going to land(airport, border etc) if they do TNs

- if I travel while on the TN do I have to get a new TN when coming back? Is it any different if I travel to Canada or if I travel overseas?
    TNs are usually given for one year maximum. You don't have get a new TN if you're working for the same company within the 1 year period.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X