Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a car in Canada and drive down or buy it in the US

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's cheaper to buy a car in Canada and drive down to the U.S / import it or is it better to wait until I get into the U.S and then buy a car./

Do I need a California driver's license to buy a car in the U.S. How would the process of buying a car in the U.S with a Canadian driver's license work.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by claus; 10-26-2023, 05:35 AM.

Originally posted by claus View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know if it's cheaper to buy a car in Canada and drive down to the U.S / import it or is it better to wait until I get into the U.S and then buy a car./

Do I need a California driver's license to buy a car in the U.S. How would the process of buying a car in the U.S with a Canadian driver's license work.

Car I'm looking at : BMW I4​

Thanks guys

In general, it's usually cheaper to buy a car in the US and register it there compared to buying one in Canada and importing it. This is because cars tend to be more expensive in Canada, and you'll have to pay additional costs to import the car on top of the purchase price. Here's a breakdown of the factors to consider:
    • Car prices: Cars generally have a lower MSRP in the US compared to Canada.
    • Import costs: You'll need to pay import duties, taxes, and compliance fees to register the car in the US.
    • Exchange rate: The exchange rate between USD and CAD can affect the overall cost.

Here are some resources that you might find helpful:
    • US Customs and Border Protection (CBP):

Now, about buying a car in the US with a Canadian driver's license:
    • You should be able to buy a car with your Canadian driver's license. Most dealerships will accept it as valid identification.
    • However, to register the car in the US, you'll need a US state ID. You might be able to get a temporary ID while you're getting settled in.

It's always best to check with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the state where you'll be living to confirm the exact requirements for buying and registering a car.

Overall, waiting until you get to the US to buy a car might be the simpler option. But if you've already set your heart on a specific car in Canada, then importing it is possible, just be prepared for the extra costs and paperwork involved.

Comment

When it comes to buying a car in Canada and driving it down to the U.S. versus buying it directly in the U.S., it's usually more straightforward to buy the car in the U.S. While it might seem cheaper initially to purchase in Canada, you'll have to factor in import taxes, modifications to meet U.S. standards, and the hassle of dealing with customs. Additionally, you don't need a California driver's license to buy a car in the U.S.; your Canadian license will work just fine. The process includes presenting your Canadian ID and ensuring you meet the insurance requirements. It's always a good idea to check with the dealership as they can guide you through the specifics.​

Comment

When it comes to buying a car in Canada and driving it down to the U.S. versus buying it directly in the U.S., it's usually more straightforward to buy the car in the U.S. While it might seem cheaper initially to purchase in Canada, you'll have to factor in import taxes, modifications to meet U.S. standards, and the hassle of dealing with customs. Additionally, you don't need a California driver's license to buy a car in the U.S.; your Canadian license will work just fine. The process includes presenting your Canadian ID and ensuring you meet the insurance requirements. It's always a good idea to check with the dealership as they can guide you through the specifics.

I've dreamed about getting a BMW for a long time and recently found the ideal car for me, a sleek BMW i4. It has a stunning design, incredible performance, and the latest tech features that make driving a delight. I also discovered an informative article about importing a car from the EU to the U.S., which helped me understand the costs and process involved. This information was invaluable and might be useful for you as well if you consider different import options for your BMW i4. ​
        Last edited by phrecz; 07-11-2024, 05:50 AM.

Comment

When buying a car, I think it depends on what you’re looking for. They usually have a solid selection, and you can check out the vehicle in person before you commit. You might want to go that route if you find a sweet deal in Canada, like at Budget Auto Centre. Plus, you can drive it back home immediately, which is fun!

On the flip side, it could be worth the trip if you’re eyeing something specific in the US. Remember the extra paperwork and customs stuff when you bring it back. Sometimes, the hassle of dealing with border regulations can take the shine off a great deal.

I’d lean toward buying in Canada if you can find what you want.
          Last edited by Esmarald; 09-23-2024, 03:25 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X