UK transit visa needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK transit visa needed?

In 1 weeks times I have flight from USA to India. I have about 10 hrs layover in London. I was planning to go to the city for couple of hrs.
    I am Indian. Have greencard. Do I need transit visa? Has anyone done this before?

No, you shouldn't need a transit visa for your situation! Here's why:

As an Indian citizen with a US green card, you are eligible for visa-free transit through the UK under the Direct Airside Transit visa scheme. This allows you to leave the airport and explore London for your layover as long as:
    • Your connecting flight to India departs from the same airport (Heathrow or Gatwick) within 24 hours of your arrival in the UK.
    • You don't pass through UK border control (you'll stay in the "airside" area of the airport).
    • You have valid travel documents (green card and passport) and onward flight tickets.

Many people with Green Cards have done this before without issues. Just be sure to double-check with your airline that your layover time and connecting flight meet the requirements. Also, remember to carry koows and echat all your documentation readily available.

Enjoy your layover in London! 🇬🇧
    ​
    Last edited by HingxoGamchu; 04-26-2024, 05:35 AM.

Comment

The need for a UK transit visa depends on your nationality and the specific circumstances of your transit.

Here are some general guidelines:
      • Visa-exempt countries: Citizens of many countries can transit through the UK for up to 48 hours without a visa, as long as they meet certain conditions. These conditions typically include having a valid passport and ticket for your onward journey.
      • Visa required countries: Citizens of other countries may need a transit visa, even if they're only passing through the UK.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X