Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on conversion

hi,

A friend of mine wants to convert himself into a jew. He is presently a Hindu residing in India. He has 2 options. (1) He can go to Israel and convert himself, in which case, he should never leave the Israel.(2) He can convert himself in the US and has even identified some organisation for the same. He is allowed to return to India after that. He has chosen to go to the US as he wants to come back to India.
    But the major problem is he does not know on what visa he should travel to the US. R1 is ruled out because presently he does not belong to the same religious order as the organisation in the US.
    He needs to be in the US for atleast 10 months for this.
    Can anyone help with some suggestions?

SOLVER

B1/B2 is the only possibility . But I doubt the consular will grant
    him a B1/B2 to convert to a new religion.

Aren't there any jewish
    organizations in India that provide that service?

Comment

Even if an application for B1/B2 is considered, it might be granted only for 6 months. This person needs to be in the US for atleast 10 months. Will an extension of B1/B2 be allowed for this reason?
      Does he travel on Pleasure or on business? If on business, what kind of invite letter should he get from the Organisation. Does the Consulate allow travel for the purpose of religious conversions?
      Please suggest a way out as this friend of mine is really obssessed.

SOLVER

Comment

Like I said , it is going to be very HARD for him to get a B1/B2 based
        on this purpose. Convince him not to waste his money and attempt
        on the visa.

If he still wants to apply;
        This is not a pleasure trip for him.You can ask for a letter of religious
        conversion from the organization in US.The period of stay is only detemined at the port of entry and not at the embassy, and yes, usually it is 6 months.
        Extensions are possible but if he will get a 4 month extension, he will
        have to find out once he gets there.
        Last edited by skk538; 07-15-2005, 03:09 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X