Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged passport - Visitor's visa

Hi,

My father's passport got damaged accidentally while washing clothes. All the pages and entry/exit stamps are intact. The I-94 is a little torn at the bottom but the number and data entered are clearly visible. The problem is with the US VISA stamp which seems to be washed out a little. The numbers and details are present, however the photo and the seal on top of it seem a little washed out. There is also damage with the number printed on the visa at the bottom.

Also, the photo on the passport itself is a little washed out on the side, although the face is visible.

He is supposed to be leaving the country on 28th.

Would this cause any problem while exiting from USA? or entry into India? or even in the transit at London?

Any suggestions/thoughts on what to do would help much.

Thanks a ton,
    Hari

I am not sure but if possible visit Indian embassy before his travel.My friend's passport was lost when she was in Germany but Indian embassy was able to help and she back to India without any issues.

Comment

I-94 is not an absolute requirement(only serves to record departure)
      and US visa is not at all required for US departure.

So, the only thing left is the passport.
      I think you must call the Indian embassy to confirm if he requires a new one .

These passports are machine readable;
      if it is damaged even a little, it may not be read by the airline/london/Indian computers,
      so may cause problems.

Comment

thanks for your response. So is it possible that if we are able to scan the passport at the airport at the point of boarding, then he shud be fine? The reason why i ask is that the lfight is within the next 4 days or so. Not much time left to do anything at embassy. We live in SD, while the embassy is at SFO.

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
        I-94 is not an absolute requirement(only serves to record departure)
        and US visa is not at all required for US departure.

So, the only thing left is the passport.
        I think you must call the Indian embassy to confirm if he requires a new one .

These passports are machine readable;
        if it is damaged even a little, it may not be read by the airline/london/Indian computers,
        so may cause problems.

Comment

At least call the SFO consulate. If they suggest, reschedule the flight.

Comment

I have been trying that for two days. Nobody is picking up. Decided to drive up to SFO. Could somebody tell me if they entertain walk-ins?

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
            At least call the SFO consulate. If they suggest, reschedule the flight.

Comment

Originally posted by hari000 View Post
              I have been trying that for two days. Nobody is picking up. Decided to drive up to SFO. Could somebody tell me if they entertain walk-ins?
              It is not surprising that you are not getting any response on your calls. That seems to be the modus oparandi of most Indian Consulates / Embassies.

Given your tight time line and also the distance to SFO, I would suggest take your chances at the airport. Do you happen to have any copies of the passport before it was damaged. If so your dad should carry them as some extra proof.

What airport is your dad flying out of? Is that in your home town / or you can get to easily? If so pay them a visit during some lean times and actually show the passport at the airline counter. They may be able to assess the condition better.

Either way I do not see much of a problem exiting US, and as a transit passenger he should not normally be subject to big issues in London. From what you said the damage seems to be light and for that reason he should be fine in India as well.

Comment

Hi,

Can you please share your experience, did you have to face to many hassles. I have had similar problem, the corner of the bottom information on the passport is washed out but all other information seems to be intact.

I have one more issue, I need to go to Mexico before entering US again for 1 day before finally going back to India. It would be really helpfull if you can tell me what happened in your case.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by hari000 View Post
                Hi,

My father's passport got damaged accidentally while washing clothes. All the pages and entry/exit stamps are intact. The I-94 is a little torn at the bottom but the number and data entered are clearly visible. The problem is with the US VISA stamp which seems to be washed out a little. The numbers and details are present, however the photo and the seal on top of it seem a little washed out. There is also damage with the number printed on the visa at the bottom.

Also, the photo on the passport itself is a little washed out on the side, although the face is visible.

He is supposed to be leaving the country on 28th.

Would this cause any problem while exiting from USA? or entry into India? or even in the transit at London?

Any suggestions/thoughts on what to do would help much.

Thanks a ton,
                Hari

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X