Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone got Visitor Visa (B2) after multiple rejections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone got Visitor Visa (B2) after multiple rejections?

My mother-in-law's B2 got rejected thrice under section 214 (b). On first two occasions, it was under my sponsorship and on the third occasion it was self-sponsored. I don't know what we are doing wrong. All docs are in place, affidavit, property docs, income proof docs, etc. She is an Indian citizen, single parent, retired, all kids married.

Can someone help?

Has anyone got B2 after so many rejections?

Documents are not important .

Life situation is important;

Can you pleast post , what is her situation as;

1.What do you mean when you say she is a single parent? Is she divorced?
    2. Does she have any sons and is any son living with her in INdia?
    3. What is your and your spouse's visa status in USA? How long have you been here?
    4. When all did your MIL apply? month/yr
    5. Can you post any of her interviews in Q and A form?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Here are more details:

=> Yes. Divorced.
      => One son living in Singapore, Two daughters married - one permanently in India and other (my wife) currently in India
      3. What is your and your spouse's visa status in USA? How long have you been here?
      => H1/H4. We were in US last year. Came to India in Jan (Job related transfer within same company). Planning to go back in next month.
      => First two occations in 2007/08, from Singapore when she was visiting her son in Singapore. Currently this month Feb 2013 from Mumbai consulate.
      => Rejection for first two was the US consulate in SG couldn't verify her Indian docs about property and they didn't know how to handle Indian citizen applying from US consulate in SG. They advised her to apply from India.
      In India, the questions were routine:
      Q: Why are you going to US?
      A: For tourism purpose, to visit friends and relatives.
      Q: Who do you have as relative in US?
      A: A nephew and few other distance relatives. (At the time of this interview, I and my wife were in India)
      Q: When did your nephew met you last?
      A: Two years ago when he came to India for a family function.
      Q: Who is in your family?
      A: 1 Son in SG and 2 Daughters in India

Then VO says, sorry you don't quality for visitor's visa and hands over 214-B pre-printed letter.

Actually, we are going back to US next month, we'd like to take her with us. She has toured SG, Australia with her son. We'd like to tour her US in this summer.
      Last edited by eski; 02-14-2013, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eski View Post
        Thanks for the reply. Here are more details:

=> Yes. Divorced.
        => One son living in Singapore, Two daughters married - one permanently in India and other (my wife) currently in India
        => H1/H4. We were in US last year. Came to India in Jan (Job related transfer within same company). Planning to go back in next month.
        => First two occations in 2007/08, from Singapore when she was visiting her son in Singapore. Currently this month Feb 2013 from Mumbai consulate.
        => Rejection for first two was the US consulate in SG couldn't verify her Indian docs about property and they didn't know how to handle Indian citizen applying from US consulate in SG. They advised her to apply from India.
        In India, the questions were routine:
        Q: Why are you going to US?
        A: For tourism purpose, to visit friends and relatives.
        Q: Who do you have as relative in US?
        A: A nephew and few other distance relatives. (At the time of this interview, I and my wife were in India)
        Q: When did your nephew met you last?
        A: Two years ago when he came to India for a family function.
        Q: Who is in your family?
        A: 1 Son in SG and 2 Daughters in India

Then VO says, sorry you don't quality for visitor's visa and hands over 214-B pre-printed letter.

Actually, we are going back to US next month, we'd like to take her with us. She has toured SG, Australia with her son. We'd like to tour her US in this summer.
        There are three negatives in her life situation; no job, no husband and only son living abroad .
        And the interview in India the stated purpose was flawed.
        Going all the way to US to visit mainly 'nephew' is not in the natural scheme of things,
        so they denied.

She has one positive ; travels outside India.

But now she cannot apply saying she is going to visit you
        because she did not say that in feb.
        I am sorry to say she should have told the truth about you guys last time.
        If she says that the next time, they will dig everything about you guys and
        she will be denied because of misrepresentation last time.

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
          There are three negatives in her life situation; no job, no husband and only son living abroad .
          And the interview in India the stated purpose was flawed.
          Going all the way to US to visit mainly 'nephew' is not in the natural scheme of things,
          so they denied.

She has one positive ; travels outside India.

But now she cannot apply saying she is going to visit you
          because she did not say that in feb.
          I am sorry to say she should have told the truth about you guys last time.
          If she says that the next time, they will dig everything about you guys and
          she will be denied because of misrepresentation last time.
          Thanks peace999 for your reply and analysis.

Since we are still in India and when she re-applies, we might still be in India. Hence 'going to visit us when we travel' - is all in future tense - lot of variables and as you said, could be viewed as misrepresentation.

What do you think are the chances if she re-applies as pure tourist, books packaged tour with travel operators and then applies as self-sponsored.

The fact is that, all of us (her nephew, her other relatives and we too) would like her to see US and meet our families. She enjoyed SG, Australia and we wanted to show her US while she can tour. After few years, old age will catch up and she will not be capable / willing to travel.

So now question is what's the best way to represent her case for the 4th time try that will have good amount of positives and better chances of getting the visitor's visa? Last time we had asked for 6 months, if we mention a lesser duration ~30-40 days with planned itinerary, will it work?

Thank you again for your continuous help. Much appreciated.
          Last edited by eski; 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Ok. asking for 6 months is again a reason for denial.

But more important here is the purpose of visit.

No middle aged woman goes to US alone on a package tour. She would be expected to go with her
            children or some close family.

And reapplying so soon with a change in purpose is not advisable anyway.

Who are the other relatives in USA she has?
            Do nephew's parents live there? How Are they related to her?

Comment

Ok. asking for 6 months is again a reason for denial.

But more important here is the purpose of visit.

No middle aged woman goes to US alone on a package tour. She would be expected to go with her
              children or some close family.

And reapplying so soon with a change in purpose is not advisable anyway.

Who are the other relatives in USA she has?
              Do nephew's parents live there? How Are they related to her?
              Thanks for the reply.

Nephew is son of her elder brother. Nephew's parents i.e. her bother and his wife live in India. Nephew is well settled US Citizen. Other relatives distant i.e. relatives of daughter's in-laws. Some friends or sons/daughters of friends from her hometown, etc.

You're right - she will not travel alone. Once she reaches US, she will travel with her relatives, friends. However, the VO doesn't give any time to explain all this.

If re-applying immediately is no-no, what it the optimal time?
              Should she re-apply after we (me - her SIL and daughter) travel and spend her sponsorship docs after 1-2 months or re-apply with packaged tour providers alongwith her other daughter, SIL, grand-daughter who will be in India?

Comment

The best purpose of visit is " going to meet her daughter and SIL'

But how will she explain her not mentioning your presence in US in feb.

Maybe she can wait till the end of the year and you guys can figure out a way to cover that.

Comment

The best purpose of visit is " going to meet her daughter and SIL'

But how will she explain her not mentioning your presence in US in feb.

Maybe she can wait till the end of the year and you guys can figure out a way to cover that.
                  Thanks for the reply. When she appeared for Visa interview in Feb, we were in India only. Hence she had said the purpose as 'Visit nephew, other relatives and tourism'.

So as per you suggestion, best chance is to reapply after some time after we travel to US, send her sponsorship docs, right?

And, re-applying immediately in this/next month as self-sponsored with reason as 'to meet nephew & other relative + tourism' is going to backfire?

Edit: Another input: Her nephew's son is having graduating ceremony this summer. Her nephew said that it will be nice if she can attend. Is this strong enough and valid reason for visa?
                  Last edited by eski; 02-16-2013, 05:43 AM. Reason: Additional Info

Comment

she has already been denied with the "nephew visit" . And I told you it does not sound natural at all.
                    So, why try again with the same purpose. Sponsorhip is secondary, primary reason is purpose is not concrete.

About you; you were in India for a visit, but you actually were working in US on work visas.
                    If she gives that reason, they will ask in detail when you guys went there on what visas.

See if she can cover it up, it will be the better way to go. Plus self funding is fine if
                    she can show strong savings or income .

Comment

she has already been denied with the "nephew visit" . And I told you it does not sound natural at all.
                      So, why try again with the same purpose. Sponsorhip is secondary, primary reason is purpose is not concrete.

About you; you were in India for a visit, but you actually were working in US on work visas.
                      If she gives that reason, they will ask in detail when you guys went there on what visas.

See if she can cover it up, it will be the better way to go. Plus self funding is fine if
                      she can show strong savings or income .
                      peace999, can't thank you enough for your continuous help and guidance on this case.

About me: At the time of her Feb visa interview, I was not working in US. I was actually working in India and will go on H1 in March to work for US unit of the same organization.

Reg self-sponsorship - any idea what income+saving is good enough? Retired, pensioner with annual income of Rs.2,50,000/- (~$4800) and savings worth Rs. 18,00,000/- (~$34,000) and immovable property of Rs 30,00,000/- (~$55,000) is good enough for self-sponsorship?

This time we are also planning to mention a shorter duration for the visit ~30 days.

IMHO, The purpose is still dicey. If the purpose "visiting nephew for attending his son's graduation + tourism" is no good, then "visiting SIL and daughter" may also be questioned as she had visited SIL and daughter as they were India until Feb - why to visit them so immediately in US when they go there in March? Her first two attempts from SG consulate ("visiting daughter & SIL, sponsored by SIL") were denied.

Single, middle-aged woman alone on packaged tour also looks questionable.

This case is becoming more and more complex to get visa. Gosh it's so hard for visitors to get US visa - she got SG and AUS visa without any fuss.

Anyway, thank again peace999 to helping me out here with your experience and insightful analysis.

Comment

Ok. It is fine then.

1.Wait till the end of the year.

2. send sponsorship as her income is not enough for self funding.
                        ( savings are fine, but sometimes they do not care about savings, and deny on listening to 'retired').
                        Another way is she can say her son in SG is funding ( show his income).

3. Ask for 2-3 months-- 1 month looks suspiciously short for a parental visit.

4. Beware that she has 3 negatives; retired, divorced and only son in SG.( no job and family ties to India).
                        So, she will be lucky if she gets it.

Yes, US visa is unfairly hard to get if you have no job/family ties in India.
                        Especially elderly parents visiting their children should not be denied.

PS. If she can work a little bit, show some work engagement ( small home run business etc.)
                        instead of 'retired' status . That will help.
                        Last edited by peace999; 02-16-2013, 07:06 PM.

Comment

..... That will help.
                          Thank you, thank you very much. Your suggestions and advice definitely gives us direction and hope to work on her case once again. I'll post if any update happens on this case.

Comment

One question - what should I show as primary occupation if my MIL is giving private tuition at home after retiring as a teacher? Her income is from pension+interest on savings & investments + rent + private tuition.

Comment

Finally got the visa !! (Single Parent, Retired, 3 previous rejections)

Refreshing this thread with a good news. My MIL finally got her B2 visa this week.

Consulate: Mumbai
                              Previous attempt was in Feb (self-sponsored) and current attempt (SIL-sponsored from US) was this week - July.
                              DS160 Duration asked: 45 days
                              Purpose of travel: Visiting daughter and SIL and tourism
                              MIL's status: Retired/Divorced/No Job in India. But properties, investments and another married daughter in India.
                              Used Hindi translator.

Questions Asked:
                              Q: Who are you visiting in US?
                              A: My daughter and SIL
                              Q: What visa they have?
                              A: My daughter has H4 and SIL has H1.
                              Q: Where are your other children?
                              A: Son in SG with wife and grandson, another daughter in India with granddaughter
                              Q: How long you intend to stay?
                              A: Approx 1-1/2 month i.e. 45 days.
                              Q: Who is sponsoring the trip?
                              A: My SIL.

That's it. Without looking at ANY documents, the VO (translator) said, your application is approved!

I would like to thank all moderators, forum admins, senior members of Immihelp.Com and all others who helped me in this process.

Best wishes to other aspirants.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X