Duration of stay in the US on I-194

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duration of stay in the US on I-194

Hi everybody. Can someone please clarify what is/are the deciding factors for the duration of time allowed to stay in the US, when you land in the US on a visitor visa.
    Does the date on the return air ticket matter. If the return ticket has a date 3 months from now, would that lead to a vistor getting a stay visa for 3 months. What if the return ticket is dated 4 months or six months from now...how would that affect.

Thank you so much for your time and for your help,
    Saby

Hi Saby,
    The return tickets don't add any value. The duration granted is based on the discretion of the Immigration Officers at the port of entry, though u r allowed to make a request in this regard.
    Last edited by veena_swsh; 08-05-2005, 05:45 AM.
    VEENA
    (NOT LEGAL ADVICE)

Comment

Originally posted by veena_swsh
      Hi Saby,
      The return tickets don't add any value. The duration granted is based on the discretion of the Immigration Officers at the port of entry, though u r allowed to make a request in this regard.

Thanks so much for your reply. My situation is like this. My relatives got a one year multiple entry visa this week in Delhi. During the interview, they told the US consulate officer that they are planning to stay in the US for 3 months. Now they are a little hesitant for getting a return ticket dated 6 months from now.

Also, once you get a 1 year multiple entry visa to the US, if you want to apply for a new visa a year or 2 later, do you still need all the sponsorship paper work that you prepared the first time. The people in question are a 55 year old married couple. They had carried every single document listed on immilhelp for the visa interview from the sponsor and from their side. Would they need to do the same the second time around.

Thanks so much for your help,
      Saby

Comment

At the port of entry, airtickets are not routinely checked for the return dates
        and usually it would not be a problem.
        But if you have doubts, some airlines offer an OPEN 6 month ticket. If not,
        get a 4 month validity ticket (cheaper) and spend the difference to get it extended in the US.

A few years ago they had the DROP BOX, when you did not need all
        the documents again. But now , to be on the safer side you should
        carry everything at the interview and if their first return was timely,
        they would not have any problems getting a 10 yr visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X