X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visa for canadian PR studying outside of canada

Hi, here is my profile:
    -------------------
    My entire family and I left the Philippines and received our Canadian PR cards on June 2011. But I came back to Manila to study and have been physically present in Canada only during school breaks for 84 days to be exact. I am a 21-year old single female who is studying Medicine. I'll be graduating in 3 years. My parents are supporting me financially. My family has been well established in Canada since then, both of my parents are working and they have even bought a car. I have 2 aunts and an uncle who are Canadian citizens now.

I want to visit another aunt who is a citizen in the US and tour the nearby landmarks where she lives and go shopping. I'll be staying for one week. I have a scheduled appointment for interview at the US consulate in Vancouver this coming April 15.

Aside from the required files, the supporting documents I'll be bringing with me are: my certificate of enrollment, school ID, PR Card, parents' bank statements, ITRs.
    --------------------

My QUESTIONS are:

1. What are my chances of getting approved a US B2 visa? Considering I belong to the high-risk group of single, unemployed young people.
    2. I've read that being a PR in Canada can be a positive factor in getting a US visit visa. Which one do they take into account? The length of time since I got my PR card (~2 years) or the length of time I've actually stayed in Canada (~84 days)?
    2. Will they consider as "strong ties to return" the fact that I am studying even though it's not in Canada?
    3. Will they ask about how I will fulfill my residency obligations in canada vs finishing my degree in the Philippines because there is that issue. Honestly I see my future more in the Philippines and not so much in Canada.
    4. What other supporting documents do I need to prepare?

Any answer would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by scribbles; 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM.

1. Single students do get US visitor visas . If you were a student/worker in canada with a PR, it would have been easy.

2.They won't count the exact no. of days or when you got your PR. Important thing for them is if you are settled
    in canada( even as a student) for a reasonable length of time and continue to do so.

3,4 Basically, they will be concerned with if you will leave US after the trip. Maintaning canadian residency is not their concern.
    So, in your situation, it all depends on the officer and how he perceives your statements during the interview.
    if he gives weight to your student status in phillip. you may succeed.

5.They do not look at many many documents. What you are carrying is enough.

Best of luck and please post how it went.

Comment

I just realized I forgot to thank you for your reply. My visa got approved and I received it just now! Ten years multiple entry B1/B2. The interview went very well and it was really fast. For me it felt like less than a minute. Most of the questions asked by the officer during the interview were regarding my education (what degree, where, year of graduation, why did you choose to study in the philippines and not in canada). I wasn't asked about anything financial. No documents were asked.

I have another question though. In my visa, there is "permanent resident in canada" written under the Annotation. What does this mean? And will my US visa be affected in the future in case I lose my permanent residence status in Canada (due to unmet obligations i.e. not living here)?

Thank you once again.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X