Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents attending B2 visa interview for a self sponsored trip to USA

Hi,

My parents and sister will be attending B2 visa interview in May 2013. I have few questions regarding the same. On DS 160 form we have shown that "they" will be sponsoring the trip. However they will be staying with me and I will take care of all of their expenses in USA. They will pay for their flight tickets from India to here and back. They have approximately $40,000 to show as their bank and post office balance. In addition , I will be showing around $5000 for their day to day expenses. I work at Intel and make around $80,000/yr. My dad works as Security Manager at a reputed company and makes around 6 lakhs/ yr and my sister is an Indirect Taxation Manager and makes around 3 lakhs/yr. My sister is unmarried and lives with my parents.

So for the Question :
    Q : Who will sponsor your trip ?
    A : We will sponsor our trip. (Dad and sister)
    Q : Why didn't your daughter (Me) sponsor you or you dont make enough money in a year to sponsor a trip to USA.
    A : We have planned for this trip for a long time and we have accumulated enough savings to spend. Also we will be living with our daughter and she will take care of our Accommodation, Food and Medical Insurance expenses so the total expenses will be bearable.

Please let me know ASAP , if ours answers sound reasonable.

Thanks,
    Kisan
    Last edited by sandhya4nanotech; 05-05-2013, 09:40 PM.

It is the otherway round. Self funding is always considered better.
    It shows good financial ties to India .

But for that one must have very good income .
    They ask about income not savings.
    Showing moderate or low income as in your dad's or sis's case
    can bring on instant denial even if other factors are ok.
    There is no official cutoff but 1L/m or more is considered safe.

I suggest you send sponsorship as you call it for all 3. It will require an I-134 with I-t return and bank
    statement papers.
    Amend the DS 160.

PS. Even if you will sponsor, your sister's low income and single status can bring down her chances
    ( weak ties to India).

Comment

Hi Peace999,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. I will amend their DS160 form and fully sponsor their trip. My sister will get married on Oct 25th, 2013. So if we carry a marriage invitation card at the time of interview and prepare her case that she will return back to India because

1. She has a job and she has got her leave sanctioned for one month only so she must re join at the end of her vacation.
      2. She has recently bought a property and she needs to pay back the house loan. She also needs to take care of her property.
      3. She will get married on Oct 25th, 2013 so this trip will be a pre-marriage treat for her.
      4. My parents are getting old so she needs to live close by so that she can take care of them.

What would be the chances ?

Thanks in advance,
      Kisan

Comment

Technically, her chances are not so great but B1/B2 decisions depend heavily on the officer's discretion.
        So if she is lucky to get a lenient officer she may get it.

Your points '1-4' do not carry much weight and the interview process is such that you cannot force details and explanations
        on the officer. They say , " Answer only what I ask".

Her getting married in OCT is positive for her but only if the officer asks her if she is single or not.
        Then she can add she is single but getting married in OCt.
        A lot of times they do not ask that question as they read that on your DS 160.

Adv;
        If her husband will be earning very well, they will have a better chance after marriage
        on self funding.

Comment

Thank you so much for your quick replies. I have one more question :

My parents have already scheduled an interview and the appointment letter has previous DS 160 application ID number. There is no way to edit the submitted application. We need file a new one. We have called the helpline and they said , at the time of OFC my parents can mention that they have filed a new DS 160 form and show them the new confirmation page. They will update in the system for the visa interview. But they need to satisfy the OFC people about the change and why was the change made. Also they said , the decision of accepting new application is entirely upto OFC officer/VO.

Q : What are the chances that they will accept our new application without any issues ?

Comment

I do not know about that.

If they do not accept it , your parents can explain at the interview, that they made a mistake on DS160
            and their you are funding the trip.

Comment

Parents visa got rejected just coz they chose Delhi consulate instead of Mumbai

Hi,

My Parents and sister attended the interview today but the VO didnt ask very many Questions.

VO to Dad : What do you do ?
              A : I work in YYYY company in Gujarat.
              VO to Sister : What do you do ?
              A : I work in YYYY company in Gujarat.
              VO : Why did apply in Delhi, why not Mumbai.
              A : We lived in Delhi for 7 years and have many friends and family here. So accommodation and travel is more convenient here.
              Vo : Am not convinced. I cant grant you visa

He rejected under 214b. What do you think could be the cause of denial coz I have checked and there is no rule that we cant apply for Visa in other consulate than closest to home. Awaiting reply.

Thanks

Comment

I do not know if that was the reason for denial. But one should not apply outside one's consular distt. unless it is an emergency. Officers in each distt are familiar with local situations and may feel the applicant wants to hide something if applying outside the distt.

Let your parents apply again in Mumbai after some time. Leave out your sis.

Comment

So if they will be asked the same question again "why did u apply to Delhi consulate". What should be a reasonable and satisfying
                  answer to the vo.

Comment

"We thought we could apply anywhere, and in Delhi we had several relatives."

Comment

I am planning to do separate interviews of my parents and sister. Would it be suitable if my sister go for her interview on June 21st (exactly 1 month from this interview) and then my parents can go later in mid July or later this year ? My parents are not feeling comfortable to go for another interview too soon. They have got reviews from people that they should wait atleast 3-6 months before going for the next interview. Would that help ? Am thinking since the Delhi consulate didnt tell us anything that we lack in our documentation or preparation so if we are not at fault, what could go wrong if my family goes for a second interview sometime in June? How long do people usually wait for the second interview after one rejection ?

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X