Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applied for J1 by accident, J1 rejected, ESTA rejected, holiday in 2 weeks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applied for J1 by accident, J1 rejected, ESTA rejected, holiday in 2 weeks!

I'm a British citizen who is currently an Undergraduate at a university in the UK. I was told by my university that their were summer opportunities in the US to observe research which will help me with my course. My university contacted the university in the US, (where I would be visiting) and that university told me that I needed to apply for a J1 visa. At this point I had already booked my tickets to the US, as well as some other tickets for a short trip around the US after the research trip. I was going to travel to 3 other places, and the holiday would be lasting 5 weeks. I then applied for a J1 visa, and went to the US embassy in London. Here they rejected my visa, as they thought I did not have enough ties with the UK, even though I had printed off my return flights to the UK and showed them, and even though I'm half way through a degree in the UK! I was then told by the man who was interviewing me at the embassy, that I did not need a J1 visa, as I would not be being paid by the university. Therefore the university in the US gave me the wrong information.

I was then told that I had to re-apply for an ESTA as my circumstances had changed. I did this, and then my ESTA was also rejected. Which now mean not only can I not observe research in the US, but I also cannot travel afterwards, with my friend (which means she is now going alone!). Therefore, thanks to the university in the US, i cannot travel to America this summer and I was supposed to be leaving in 2 weeks!

I think that the visa which I should have applied for is the B2 visa? However, it would take me weeks, if not months, to get an appointment with the US embassy in London, and even if I did, what do you think the chances of being rejected again are?

Any help would be extremely helpful!

Thanks,
    DevLou

P.s. Please bare in mind the fact that my J1 visa was rejected because it was the wrong visa, NOT that they didn't want me to work there (as I wouldn't be). Surely they should understand that this is a mistake, and accept my ESTA or B2 visa application?

Yes, you cannot travel on VWP -visa waiver program (ESTA) if you have a history of any visa denial.
    Anyways it was unfortunate.

*Do you still wish to do observership ?
    Or do you just wish to do sightseeing because of the delay?

* Did the US university send you any papers from US when you applied for J-1?

* Are you supported by your parents financially? the reason I am asking this is you will need to
    show source of funding for your trip to US.

Comment

Thank you for your help peace999.

Ideally, I'd like to do both, however if that's not possible, then I'd rather do the travelling with my friend as I do not want her to go alone.

The university in the US sent me the J1 via application form via email, I then filled it all in and sent it back to then via email. They then processed the visa application and someone authorised it by signing it. They then posted it back to me so I could take it to London with me.

Yes, I am financially supported by my parents.

Comment

I am still not sure why the international office at the US university sent you a signed form for J-1 when it was not the correct visa.

Anyways, the best thing for you will be to apply just with the purpose of visiting US ( B2 visa) . That would avoid any confusion arising from
        the observership/ J-1 thing.

You probably know what documents to take for your B2 ; it is all there on the london embassy website.
        Your requested duration must match your leave from your college and take a bank statement of your own ( if your have the funds)
        or your parents.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X