Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self sponsored visitor visa for my parents

Hi,

My parents are planning to visit me on a visitor visa (B2) from India. I have filled their DS-160 and scheduled separated appointments. As they are not planning to come during same time period. While filling their DS-160, I have mentioned that they are self-sponsoring.

Both my parents are 'retried' and get monthly pension, MIS making their annual income around 2L. Both of them have good savings (around 20 L each), property and fixed deposits. They have around 4.5 L each in bank accounts as liquid money.

I was reading about some the posts here and looks like self-sponsoring for retired parents is not a good option. (please correct me here!). Now, since I have already filled their DS-160 and taken appointments, please let me know about my options.

I'm married, working in US since last 3.8 years and have decent funds in the bank ($30k ave for last 6 months). My parents have 3 kids, other 2 are in India.

Please help ASAP as their appointment is pretty soon!
    Last edited by shishir001; 06-10-2013, 03:30 AM.

Yes, their retired status and low income do not make them good candidates for self funding.
    Considering parents are frequently approved with host children's I-134s , it is appropriate that you
    send that with the supporting financial documents .

Also, you should have taken a single appointment for them, even if they are traveling separately.
    If you look at the US embassy New Delhi, non-immigrant visa webpage , it clearly states on the right hand corner
    that " families should apply together even if traveling separately". They like to judge the family situation in one go.

There is a way to amend the DS 160 or complete a new one. I am not familiar with the tech. details.
    The best is to call stanley visa center, they will tell you
    how to complete/amend a new DS 160 and to club both their appointments into one.

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      Yes, their retired status and low income do not make them good candidates for self funding.
      Considering parents are frequently approved with host children's I-134s , it is appropriate that you
      send that with the supporting financial documents .

Also, you should have taken a single appointment for them, even if they are traveling separately.
      If you look at the US embassy New Delhi, non-immigrant visa webpage , it clearly states on the right hand corner
      that " families should apply together even if traveling separately". They like to judge the family situation in one go.

There is a way to amend the DS 160 or complete a new one. I am not familiar with the tech. details.
      The best is to call stanley visa center, they will tell you
      how to complete/amend a new DS 160 and to club both their appointments into one.

Just talked with stanley visa center, they mentioned that I will have to file a new DS-160 and my parents will have to keep both DS-160 confirmations. (old and newer one).
      Regarding separate applications, she mentioned that its ok to file separate applications as but its more appropriate to file as a joint application.

So should I go ahead and create a new DS-160 for them?

Comment

I think you go ahead with
        If asked during the interview tell your dad to answer that they made a mistake about self funding and did not know that you had to appear together.

Comment

I think you go ahead with
          If asked during the interview tell your dad to answer that they made a mistake about self funding and did not know that you had to appear together.
          Should I ask my dad and mom to say that its partially sponsored? they will take care of tickets and their son (that's me) would take care of food, lodging and medical insurance.
          I will send I-134 and other financial support documents for each of them. This way their answer would be more consistent with whats there in the DS-160 form.

Please provide your inputs!
          Last edited by shishir001; 06-10-2013, 10:03 PM.

Comment

No. they will ask who is paying for the trip ; if they say what you said, the response will be "your income is not enough for the airfare".

These days they may not even ask, just look at what you wrote on the form DS160 and decide accordingly. That is the reason
            you should change DS160.

Comment

No. they will ask who is paying for the trip ; if they say what you said, the response will be "your income is not enough for the airfare".

These days they may not even ask, just look at what you wrote on the form DS160 and decide accordingly. That is the reason
              you should change DS160.
              Sure, few questions around new DS-160.

1. If I create a new DS-160 and mention in it that their son is sponsoring. Could this create a conflict as in the old DS-160 it was self-sponsored. Could VO ask why have you changed from self sponsored to 'other'. How to handle this situation. [My intent of self-sponsoring earlier was to maximize chances of getting visa, I did not know if they are retired (and have good savings) and have less income, it could be a potential threat!]

2. In the DS-160, while filling parents education details, my parents did not know about exact month of graduation so I picked up some random month (which I dont remember now). Now, if I refill it, there is possibility of mismatch from earlier DS-160. Would this matter?

3. Would carrying two DS-160 form reduce chances of getting visa by any chance?

appreciate your response!
              Last edited by shishir001; 06-10-2013, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Seriously, I am not aware of this, if the officer will look at both the forms.
                I am sorry.
                Just call stanley and ask the person there.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X