Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B2 visitor from Spain would like to apply for extension - but tricky situation: help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B2 visitor from Spain would like to apply for extension - but tricky situation: help!

My friend is a citizen of Spain with a 10-yr multiple entry B2 visa. Last time, he visited the US for 6 months (Sep 2012 - Mar 2013).
    He returned home mid March, and then arrived here in the US again on 3rd June. But at the immigration, he was given only 1 month stay visa.

Needless to mention, he is very very disappointed and would like to file for an extension.

From what I researched for him, it seems like a risky proposition to file for an extension of the visitor visa.
    In the event it is denied, apparently he would not only lose his 10-yr visa, but also have a harder time obtaining the visa again.
    Again, this was from unofficial sites, so I am not sure if this is valid information.

Please advise based on your knowledge and experience. If his extension request is denied, would it hurt his future visits to the US ?
    What is the worst case scenario ?

Thanks in advance.
    allodds

Originally posted by allodds View Post
    My friend is a citizen of Spain with a 10-yr multiple entry B2 visa. Last time, he visited the US for 6 months (Sep 2012 - Mar 2013).
    He returned home mid March, and then arrived here in the US again on 3rd June. But at the immigration, he was given only 1 month stay visa.

Needless to mention, he is very very disappointed and would like to file for an extension.

From what I researched for him, it seems like a risky proposition to file for an extension of the visitor visa.
    In the event it is denied, apparently he would not only lose his 10-yr visa, but also have a harder time obtaining the visa again.
    Again, this was from unofficial sites, so I am not sure if this is valid information.

Please advise based on your knowledge and experience. If his extension request is denied, would it hurt his future visits to the US ?
    What is the worst case scenario ?

Thanks in advance.
    allodds
    Returning within a few Months after having already stayed in US for 6 Months was the reason for having been granted only 1 Month valid stay. US immigration officials would certainly be interested in knowing what exactly your friend is doing on a visitor visa for so long in the US.
    Advisable not to file for extension and advisable to leave within the stipulated time as defined in the I-94. If your friend applies for extension and stays beyond I-94 date and if extension is denied the visa automatically becomes void and will most certainly have problems and explanations to do while going for a fresh visitor visa or any other visa to US in the future.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

Appreciate the response.

What is the probably that his extension request will be denied, given the fact that they gave him only 1 month stay visa at immigration ?

I mean, it is easy to surmise that the probability is high, but I want to know if there are ways to mitigate this and improve the chance of getting approved ? For instance, the reason given for requesting an extension might determine the outcome ?

Please let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by allodds View Post
        Appreciate the response.

What is the probably that his extension request will be denied, given the fact that they gave him only 1 month stay visa at immigration ?

I mean, it is easy to surmise that the probability is high, but I want to know if there are ways to mitigate this and improve the chance of getting approved ? For instance, the reason given for requesting an extension might determine the outcome ?

Please let me know. Thanks!
        Though depends a lot on the grounds for seeking extension too. I cant say for USCIS but chances are high for a rejection.

What exactly is the reason your friend needs to stay in US for 7+ Months in US in a span of 1 Year?

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X