Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reapplying for a visa after denial. (Different country of residence and citizenship)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reapplying for a visa after denial. (Different country of residence and citizenship)

I have previously applied for a B2 Visa at the US Embassy in Oslo, Norway and my application has been denied under section 214(b).
    A little explanation about my situation:
    I am a citizen of The Netherlands with a permanent residency permit in Norway. This means my family and strongest ties are in The Netherlands and not Norway, which is the country where I am applying.
    I rent an apartment, own a car, have two lovely cats and have an income, plus a Norwegian bank account and all the bells and whistles that come with it. (A loan, a credit card..etc..)

When I went in for my interview, the officer asked me if I would have an income whilst visiting the US. I assumed she was asking if I would have sufficient funding to pay for my stay.
    As it turns out, that made her assume that I would have an income, no matter if I was in Norway or the US and I believe that sealed the deal for me.

Is it viable for me to reapply for a visa?
    Should I consider applying for a visa in The Netherlands? (If that is even possible)

It's a lot of money to spend on another application, considering the embassy fee and gas money I need to spend on it.
    Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

1. Why did you apply for a visa when you could use your visa waiver privilege for a 90 day visit?

2. How long have you lived in norway? when are you going back?

3. Please post the full interview, whatever you can remember.

4. Are you married ? any kids ? where are they?

5. did they give you a 214( b) letter of denial?
    Last edited by peace999; 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM.

Comment

1. Why did you apply for a visa when you could use your visa waiver privilege for a 90 day visit?
      I applied for a visa, because once you sign up for the VWP you cannot apply for a visa as long as that is valid. (Or so I was told. I could be wrong) And there was a possibility I would be going over for a longer stay than 90 days after my initial visit.

2. How long have you lived in norway? when are you going back?
      I have lived in Norway for 3 years. And I am assuming with "back" you are referring to The Netherlands. My answer to that: Not sure, since I quite like Norway.

3. Please post the full interview, whatever you can remember.
      It was pretty standard:
      She asked what my intentions in the US were and I told her I would be visiting for approximately two weeks and staying with a friend. The interview proceeded with questions about income, residence etc and I provided my rental agreement, proof of income and my residency permit. She then asked me if I would have an income whilst staying in the US and I told her I would, assuming she meant if I could take care of myself financially whilst visiting. She then told me she would not be able to accept my application.

4. Are you married ? any kids ? where are they?
      I am not married nor do I have children. My parents and respective spouses, as well as my brothers, all live in The Netherlands.

5. did they give you a 214( b) letter of denial?
      They did not. I only got a verbal notification that I was declined due to her not being sure if I would be returning to Norway, since my ties to the country were not strong or sufficient enough.

I hope that answers your questions.
      If anything is unclear, I apologize. Let me know and I will try to clarify.

Comment

Your answer regarding income COULD have done it. It implied that you do not have to be in Norway to earn the money, hence maybe you could live in the US and still work. Is this the case? If it isn't, and you just meant you have paid leave, then contact the embassy to explain, and see if they have advice.

Comment

1. visiting a friend for 2 wks, could be done on a VWP . So the officer thought you may have other intent since you applied for a visa,
          but the reason you gave did not justify your applying for a visa. If you were going for a stay longer than 90 days, you should have been sure and you should have
          told the lady so.
          2. You being young ( I assume) and single, having migratory history ( netherlands to norway) , in the officer's eyes have potential to
          stay back in US when combined with my point no. 1.
          3.You have mentioned income, but not mentioned you have a regular job .
          If you do not, then it is a huge reason for denial combined with points 1 and 2.

Once a visa is denied, you cannot use your VWP. You have to apply for a visa again.
          But now, your 2 week purpose can work because you cannot use a VWP.

About applying in Norway, it is the correct thing to do. Because that is where you have lived for 3 years.
          The next time you apply , showing regular work ( job or self employment )in norway is extremely important.

Comment

Thank you very much for the help and tips! Much appreciated.
            As for young... at heart, yes Though, admittedly, 28 is still pretty young, I suppose.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X