Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separated (not legally) from wife. Could face issues applying for a tourist visa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separated (not legally) from wife. Could face issues applying for a tourist visa?

Hi, I am a 40 yr old IT professional, and have been separated (not legally) from my wife for about 2 years now. I have worked and lived in several countries (Southeast Asia, Europe) but have always come back to India after finishing my projects and am living in New Delhi right now.

Wanted to know if I could face problems applying for a US tourist visa, as I'd like to go there and visit my brother in Chicago. In any case, does anyone have advice for me in terms of the application process, and the visa interview. Things I should keep in mind to make sure I get my tourist visa. I just want to go there for a couple of weeks, come back and continue my job here. Obviously, my wife will not be applying/going as we do not talk anymore.

Thanks for your help!

If your company can send you for your IT work ( seminar/ workshop),
    It will be easier to get it that way. Visa is the same( B1/B2) whether for pleasure or for business.

Casual visits to brother without wife ---will not be easy to get a visa.
    they will ask why you are going alone and may suspect you may not return
    ( separated status in India and brother to help you in US).
    Last edited by peace999; 07-15-2013, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      If your company can send you for your IT work ( seminar/ workshop),
      It will be easier to get it that way. Visa is the same( B1/B2) whether for pleasure or for business.

Casual visits to brother without wife ---will not be easy to get a visa.
      they will ask why you are going alone and may suspect you may not return
      ( separated status in India and brother to help you in US).
      Thank you for your reply. That is kinda lame that things are seen that way. Anyways, I will have to work on this as I cannot change the situation in the near-term. There should be a way to somehow convince a visa officer that all I am is just a tourist who's gonna get in and get out. A vacation shouldn't be that tough

Comment

Originally posted by beethoven View Post
        Thank you for your reply. That is kinda lame that things are seen that way. Anyways, I will have to work on this as I cannot change the situation in the near-term. There should be a way to somehow convince a visa officer that all I am is just a tourist who's gonna get in and get out. A vacation shouldn't be that tough
        Having travelled to multiple countries in the past should act in your favor, a strong job at home should also be a positive. But as Peace said travelling alone might raise suspicion.

I agree that its not fair but there have been so much misuse of this visa that consular officers have become wary.

This is my opinion not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X