Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visitor Visa or Fiance Visa?

Hello,

I came to U.S. 8 years ago with green card. I since acquired U.S. citizenship about 2 years ago.
    I have visited Lithuania (where I am from) this summer.
    I met a girl there that I went on a date with, and it turned out really well.
    We are keeping in touch via skype and ******** and things are looking promising.
    I offered her to come to visit me this winter to give us a chance to know each other better and travel a bit.
    My girlfriend would like to take this opportunity and visit me then come back to Lithuania.
    The visit would be for 2-3 weeks only due to her work in Lithuania. (she would not be able to spend more time in the U.S)
    My girlfriend has Masters in Law and works in Lithuania.

Question: Should my girlfriend apply for visitors visa and specify the purpose of traveling to meet me or should she apply for fiances visa? What purpose should my girlfriend specify to get the best chance of getting a visa approved?

Note: We are not planning to marry, because we are not so sure about our relationship yet, but we would definitely want to do that in the near future ( upcoming 1-2 years ) if our relationship turns out well.

Thanks in advance,
    Andrius
    Last edited by Andrius; 08-20-2013, 10:06 AM.

fiancee visa is given when you are formally engaged.
    And plan to marry definitely when she comes to US on a fiancee (K1) visa.
    So, this does not apply to her.

Visitor visa is not given when someone has an immigrant intent.

Even if she only wants to visit you and return to lithuania, the officer will automatically assume immigrant intent
    if she tells them she is going to visit her boyfriend.

She could get a visitor visa by other means without mentioning you;

1.If She and her parents are rich, and they travel to foreign countries on vacation. they can come to US for vacation.
    2. If she has some relatives in US, she can apply to visit them.
    3.Her employer can send her for a business visit related to her work.

Comment

Visitor Visa or Fiance Visa?

My 2 cents-
      Go for Visitor visa!! Going for some fiancé visa might put her in admin processing as she has a masters degree. Good luck on the visa and your relationship

Comment

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
        fiancee visa is given when you are formally engaged.
        And plan to marry definitely when she comes to US on a fiancee (K1) visa.
        So, this does not apply to her.

Visitor visa is not given when someone has an immigrant intent.

Even if she only wants to visit you and return to lithuania, the officer will automatically assume immigrant intent
        if she tells them she is going to visit her boyfriend.

She could get a visitor visa by other means without mentioning you;

1.If She and her parents are rich, and they travel to foreign countries on vacation. they can come to US for vacation.
        2. If she has some relatives in US, she can apply to visit them.
        3.Her employer can send her for a business visit related to her work.
        Thanks for an advise, but going forward here are my concerns.
        For example, she applies for visitors visa saying that she has friends in the U.S. or going on vacation to travel and gets approved.
        She comes to visit me, we take pictures together.

When our relationship advances and say next year I want to marry her and invite her with Fiance's visa, won't they ask for pictures and ask if she knew me before visiting U.S. the first time and then how come she did not mention about me on that visit when she applied for Visitor's visa?
        I am just worried that in such case it would complicate things, would it not?

Comment

No, it is not a major issue.

One can always say we knew each other as friends and grew closer later.
          Last edited by peace999; 08-20-2013, 07:14 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X