Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should one carry sweets & medicines in Check-in baggage or Cabin baggage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should one carry sweets & medicines in Check-in baggage or Cabin baggage?

My mom and dad will be carrying home made coconut sweets with them. Should they carry it in Check-in baggage or Cabin baggage? Also in the form should they put a tick against carrying food?

Lastly, they are carrying medicines which they need to take everyday for which they have taken doctor's prescription. Do they need to carry chemist's bill as well and should medicines be kept in Check-in baggage or Cabin baggage?

Hello, USVisitor.

My personal thoughts, i am not a professional.

I carried my nasal spray pump, as i suffer from sinusitis. I think i carried it in my cabin baggage and nobody asked me a thing. But, as such, you could keep medicines anywhere, there is nothing to worry. For precaution, you could carry the Doctor's prescription. It might additionally (besides the checking) come in handy, should you find the need to purchase medicines while in US.

Further, about sweets, i feel the authorities are NOT ok if you carry snacks / sweets from India. I have heard of sweets / snacks getting confiscated (if they screen your baggage for such items) by the officers. I have also known cases where sweets / snacks were taken to the US without getting detected. Right after you collect your baggage, there is another scanning and people (generally old ladies) who the officers suspect of carrying edibles are put through that scanner. If you are not asked to go through this scanner, you are good

Hope this helps.

Personal Opinion. I am not a professional.

Cheers,

Originally posted by usvisitor1 View Post
    My mom and dad will be carrying home made coconut sweets with them. Should they carry it in Check-in baggage or Cabin baggage? Also in the form should they put a tick against carrying food?

Lastly, they are carrying medicines which they need to take everyday for which they have taken doctor's prescription. Do they need to carry chemist's bill as well and should medicines be kept in Check-in baggage or Cabin baggage?
    These are my personal thoughts. I am not a professional.

Wishing you luck.

Comment

i would suggest your parents carry medicines with them in their cabin baggage along with prescription and a proper bill.
      Regarding sweets, milk based sweets are not allowed and will be thrown out when your parents check in. They will be asked whether they carry any sweet items.

Comment

Always keep medicines in your hand luggage, it is safer and they will be easily accessible during the flight. It is not a bad idea to have a doctor's prescription with you in case he or she is asked about medication at the control or customs. I had a true case when my cream https://okdermo.com/product/eflora-h...iqa-cream-15g/ did not want to pass in hand luggage, I had to tell them that it is not a prohibited product. But then everything went well.
        Having a pharmacy receipt is not mandatory, but if necessary, it will help to clarify the prescription of the medicine.​
        Last edited by prennddefrost; 10-06-2024, 01:32 PM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X