Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for EAD during H4 to L2 conversion

Hello,

I currently live in USA and am on H4 visa. My husband's organization is going to apply for his L1 soon since he is gonna max out on H1. I would like to know
    - How early in advance can one apply for an H1 to L1 conversion before his H1 maxes out ?
    - Can my L2 conversion application be sent along with his application too ?
    - Can I apply for an EAD simultaneously with my L2 conversion application ? If not, what is the time I have to wait to apply for EAD after I have applied for H4 to L2 conversion ?
    - Is there any way I can process my EAD by faster means ?

Thanks much in advance,
    Nidhi

Originally posted by Nidhi Aggarwal View Post
    Hello,

I currently live in USA and am on H4 visa. My husband's organization is going to apply for his L1 soon since he is gonna max out on H1. I would like to know
    - How early in advance can one apply for an H1 to L1 conversion before his H1 maxes out ? -- I assume it is L1A. It can be filed up to 6 months prior.
    - Can my L2 conversion application be sent along with his application too ? -- Yes, it should be.
    - Can I apply for an EAD simultaneously with my L2 conversion application ? If not, what is the time I have to wait to apply for EAD after I have applied for H4 to L2 conversion ? -- Yes, you can.
    - Is there any way I can process my EAD by faster means ? --See above, if sent along with the COS application, both are likely to be approved together.

Thanks much in advance,
    Nidhi
    See above.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

H4 to L2 conversion

Thank you so much for replying kabkaba !!

My husband says "his organization will start the application process themselves and we need not worry about it".
      Do you think that is correct ? I ask because I'd not like to waste a single day if I could make it happen any sooner by initiating the process ourselves.

Also, how much time do you think it will take for conversion of my visa and approval of EAD?

I have been volunteering as an IT programmer with a non profit, just to make connections and keep myself updated meanwhile.
      In your opinion, what be the best approach to apply for jobs while my conversion is under process.
      For eg. can I start applying a couple of months before and tell them that I am going to have the work permit soon ?

Thanks again,

You are a life saver !

Comment

Ead primarily requires a ssn # . If you have that , u can apply for it with ur l2 however ead takes approx 30 to 45 days for processing

Comment

Originally posted by prsahay View Post
          Ead primarily requires a ssn # . If you have that , u can apply for it with ur l2 however ead takes approx 30 to 45 days for processing
          Thanks for replying !
          I do not have an SSN as I am on H4 and I guess one can not be granted an SSN on H4.
          Am I missing something here ?

Comment

Originally posted by prsahay View Post
            EAD and SSN have nothing to do with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidhi Aggarwal View Post
              Thank you so much for replying kabkaba !!

My husband says "his organization will start the application process themselves and we need not worry about it".
              Do you think that is correct ? I ask because I'd not like to waste a single day if I could make it happen any sooner by initiating the process ourselves.

Also, how much time do you think it will take for conversion of my visa and approval of EAD?

I have been volunteering as an IT programmer with a non profit, just to make connections and keep myself updated meanwhile.
              In your opinion, what be the best approach to apply for jobs while my conversion is under process.
              For eg. can I start applying a couple of months before and tell them that I am going to have the work permit soon ?

Thanks again,

You are a life saver !
              The change of status application is your own, but it cannot be filed before your spouse's L1 petition.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X