Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification Required US Travel

Hello Experts

I am getting married by End of Nov 2013 and would be accompanying my wife to US post marriage. She already has a L1B visa and is staying in US. Few questions to which i am seeking answers:

1. I am holding a valid B1/B2 visa, can i stay with her in US for about 3 months post marriage on a B1/B2 visa, will there be questions asked during immigration check in US or India?
    2. I plan to apply for L2 visa immediately after my return from US - after my 3 month of stay, are there any possibilities of my L2 getting rejected?
    3. I recently traveled to US (during Sep 2013 for a month) will it be a problem if i enter again within a gap of 2 months

Please help

Rgds
    Ranjeet

Entering after 2 months, US immigration ( Indian immigration is not concerned) will surely question you why so quick a revisit and if you say you are with your wife on L1 , they can become suspicious that you may not return . You will have to really convince them that you plan to return after 3 months; job at home etc.
    and even after that they can end up giving you a short stay ( depending on the officer).

Why do you take that chance? Why do you not apply for an L2 now and enter on L2 , with your wife. totally safe.

Comment

Peace999 -"Why do you take that chance? Why do you not apply for an L2 now and enter on L2 , with your wife. totally safe."
      ranjeetsrandhawa - How can i apply for a L2 now, i am not married yet and she has to travel back to US during Dec 1st week.

Are there any other safe options?

Rgds
      Ranjeet

Comment

Sorry, my mistake. I did not read your post carefully.

Rephrase;

Why do you not apply for an L2 right after marriage in Nov?.

Comment

Thanks heap for your response. Really appreciate your guidance.

Since i wish to spend time during Christmas and New Year with my wife, is it OK that i travel during December with her on B1/B2 (on leave) and stay with her for month and then return to India and apply for L2?

Even if i apply for L2 right after my marriage i will not have have it stamped until December end (or may be beyond that) and the purpose of spending time with her during Xmas and New Year will be defeated.

So if i travel with her on B1/B2 visa and stay with her for a month and return, will there be any challenges in me getting my L2 visa and my EAD post that?

Pls help

Rgds
          Ranjeet

Comment

Originally posted by ranjeetsrandhawa View Post
            Thanks heap for your response. Really appreciate your guidance.

Since i wish to spend time during Christmas and New Year with my wife, is it OK that i travel during December with her on B1/B2 (on leave) and stay with her for month and then return to India and apply for L2?

Even if i apply for L2 right after my marriage i will not have have it stamped until December end (or may be beyond that) and the purpose of spending time with her during Xmas and New Year will be defeated.

So if i travel with her on B1/B2 visa and stay with her for a month and return, will there be any challenges in me getting my L2 visa and my EAD post that?

Pls help

Rgds
            Ranjeet
            no. it will not affect your L2.
            but you may be asked questions at entry for b1/b2 why you are coming back just after 2 months.

Comment

Thanks Peace!

My stay was allowed for a period of 6 months from my last visit to US in Sep 2013 i.e. my I94 is valid till Feb 2014. Since i have not stayed in US for this complete six months, do you think i will still be questioned? or is this not related at all?

Rgds
              Ranjeet

Comment

the unused portion of your I-94 stay become irrelevant for the next visit.
                However, they may let you in for a short stay like a month, if you can convince them that you will return after
                one month.
                You MUST carry a confirmed return ticket for a month's time.

Comment

Thanks Peace! Hope things go fine :-)

Rgds
                  Ranjeet

Comment

Hello group

Thanks for all your help! The immigration went on pretty smooth, was provided entry for 6 months :-) I was just asked the purpose of my visit by the IO.

Rgds
                    Ranjeet

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X