Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it B2 or B1/B2?

Hi,

My Mom is applying for a visa to visit me. I am filling the DS-160 on her behalf. What should be the visa type? is it B2 or B1/B2? I thought it should be B2 but in some places/forums I am seeing people mentioning B1/B2 for their parents.

Also, she was rejected visa previously and the reason was not given. They asked only one question "who is bearing expenses". She said "my son" and that was it. So, in the column to explain why the visa was rejected previously, what should be written?

She is self sufficient. She gets pension every month after my Dad's expiry couple years ago. My elder brother lives in India. are these good enough to prove that she has strong ties with home country?

From what I understand, there is no visa issuance fee, It is all one fee which is MRV fees. correct?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mohana.

Strictly technically it is B2 ( pleasure visit) where as B1 is business.But it is a trivial matter whether you choose B2 or B1/B2 in the form.
    As the visa that will be issued will be B1/B2 anyway.

Was she given a paper mentioning 214b after she was denied?
    If yes, just mention 'denied under sec 214b' which is failure to prove strong ties.
    If she was not given any paper, just mention reason for denial not known.

For all practical purposes, she was denied because she is a widow. And widows have difficulty getting visas
    despite repeated attempts. When she mentioned you were paying for the trip , it showed financial dependence on you
    and chances she would stay back with you.
    If she wants to show ties with her son in India, chances would increase if she came to visit you with him and/ or his family bearing
    own expenses or by her son in India.

Yes, there is only one visa fee that is paid in advance ( $160). Nothing to be paid after the visa is issued.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply peace999. I totally appreciate it.

She was not given any paper. Only one question was asked and they gave the passport back to her. No further questions asked and no document reviewed. This happened an year ago.

Since she is a pension holder (25k per month) and has a fair amount of deposits on her name (10+ L), she can bear her own expenses. I do not have to support her. But she doesn't speak English and is not very well educated. She is 71 yr old and is no way going to settle in the US.

Also, should there be a reason for anyone to visit their family in US like pregnancy/house warming etc? Can they just not visit them for no reason?

Thanks,
      Mohana.

Originally posted by peace999 View Post
      Strictly technically it is B2 ( pleasure visit) where as B1 is business.But it is a trivial matter whether you choose B2 or B1/B2 in the form.
      As the visa that will be issued will be B1/B2 anyway.

Was she given a paper mentioning 214b after she was denied?
      If yes, just mention 'denied under sec 214b' which is failure to prove strong ties.
      If she was not given any paper, just mention reason for denial not known.

For all practical purposes, she was denied because she is a widow. And widows have difficulty getting visas
      despite repeated attempts. When she mentioned you were paying for the trip , it showed financial dependence on you
      and chances she would stay back with you.
      If she wants to show ties with her son in India, chances would increase if she came to visit you with him and/ or his family bearing
      own expenses or by her son in India.

Yes, there is only one visa fee that is paid in advance ( $160). Nothing to be paid after the visa is issued.

Comment

They read everything on your DS 160 form so they do not ask many many questions or look at documents.
        English is not an issue, there is always an option to interview in your native language.
        If your brother is well earning, he can apply with her to come visit you for a short period. That way he will be able to handle the interview well
        and he will present as a family tie for your mother to the officer right there.

They have their own set of criteria to decide on potential immigrants. Widowhood seems to be one of them, but I have read posts who have been
        successful with perseverance.
        No . for family you do not need a reason. The applicant can just say I am going to visit my son.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X