Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driving in California on a Tourist visa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in California on a Tourist visa.

I recently acquired my tourist visa and am planning on staying in california/surrounding states for the full 6 months if that is the maximum they allow me, or longer if they do so. What are my best options for driving while I'm out there, regular car rental would be close to $6000 for 6 months, which is steep. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can usually get one extension on a B2 visa while in the U.S. The amount of time allowed for the initial entrance, however, is decided at the Port of Entry, usually 3 or 6 months. Mainland China entrants have been getting a full year in many reported instances. Your I-539 extension request should be made as early as possible, 45 days or 2 months before expiration of your initial visa.

As reported on another post, visitors are able to legally drive on their foreign driver's licenses (in most states) for the duration of their visa stays, as shown by their passport annotations. This can vary by state, however, as California CHP staff have quoted "3 months" for immigrants, to allow time to obtain proof of status, but visitor visa holders are probably safe in assuming that their licenses will be good for the duration of their allowable stays.

Regular car rental can easily cost the amount you cite ($6,000) for the duration of your visa. A short-term lease, either for you or for a family friend with established credit history, might work better.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Mitchell Joseph Vaughan View Post
    I recently acquired my tourist visa and am planning on staying in california/surrounding states for the full 6 months if that is the maximum they allow me, or longer if they do so. What are my best options for driving while I'm out there, regular car rental would be close to $6000 for 6 months, which is steep. Any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
      You can usually get one extension on a B2 visa while in the U.S. The amount of time allowed for the initial entrance, however, is decided at the Port of Entry, usually 3 or 6 months. Mainland China entrants have been getting a full year in many reported instances. Your I-539 extension request should be made as early as possible, 45 days or 2 months before expiration of your initial visa.

As reported on another post, visitors are able to legally drive on their foreign driver's licenses (in most states) for the duration of their visa stays, as shown by their passport annotations. This can vary by state, however, as California CHP staff have quoted "3 months" for immigrants, to allow time to obtain proof of status, but visitor visa holders are probably safe in assuming that their licenses will be good for the duration of their allowable stays.

Regular car rental can easily cost the amount you cite ($6,000) for the duration of your visa. A short-term lease, either for you or for a family friend with established credit history, might work better.

--Ray B
      Do you have any suggestions where to go for a short term lease?

Comment

What city will be your base location? I'll look for something in that city which would be convenient for you.

--Ray B

Do you have any suggestions where to go for a short term lease?

Comment

Originally posted by rayb View Post
          What city will be your base location? I'll look for something in that city which would be convenient for you.

--Ray B
          LA, Torrance/Hawthorne specifically. Very much appreciate your time.

Comment

Mitchell,

I'll privately respond with any information by Monday (Pacific time).

--Ray B

LA, Torrance/Hawthorne specifically. Very much appreciate your time.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X