Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS160 - Lost Passport - Declined Visa on the lost passport

Hi Friends,

I'm trying to have my parents visit my wife & I here in the US, and have a few questions with regards to the DS160 form.

1. I understand that I have to complete two separate DS160 forms for my parents, though they will be travelling together. Will they need two separate I-134s, and separate sets of papers as well ?

2. Do I have to mention my Mom's 'surname' before her marriage ? But, she may not have any proof of marriage like a wedding certificate. The Passport that she currently holds, has the surname after marriage since their wedding in 1972.

3. My Mom had a Passport back in 1985-86, but she lost that Passport about that time and never cared to lodge a police complaint. Subsequently, in 2006, she got new Passport without any police complaint or mention of the Passport she held in the 80's. Now, in 1986, her younger brother, who used to live here in the US at that time, sent her a tourist ticket to the US. So, she applied for a tourist VISA, but got declined at the US consulate in Chennai.

So, that was on the old Passport, and neither she nor my Dad recollect that episode, nor have any documentation. They don't even have a copy of the lost passport

Do we need to mention on the DS160 that she was declined a VISA earlier ? We're now working on this VISA based on the new passport with no link to the old one that is lost.

4. Somewhere on the DS160 form there was a question on the relatives here in the US. Would it be fine to just mention myself as my parents' immediate relative, or do we also have to state my Mom's sister and their children as well ? It asks for their addresses & phone numbers.

5. Lastly, do we schedule the VISA interview date after submission of the DS160 forms along with the digital photos ? And, I understand that we could now pay the VISA fee online.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Please see my responses in CAPS after your questions.

--Ray B

Originally posted by Chez8 View Post
    Hi Friends,

I'm trying to have my parents visit my wife & I here in the US, and have a few questions with regards to the DS160 form.

1. I understand that I have to complete two separate DS160 forms for my parents, though they will be travelling together. Will they need two separate I-134s, and separate sets of papers as well ?

YES, BECAUSE THEY NEED TWO SEPARATE VISAS.

2. Do I have to mention my Mom's 'surname' before her marriage ? But, she may not have any proof of marriage like a wedding certificate. The Passport that she currently holds, has the surname after marriage since their wedding in 1972.

YES, YOU HAVE TO REPORT PREVIOUS NAMES USED.

3. My Mom had a Passport back in 1985-86, but she lost that Passport about that time and never cared to lodge a police complaint. Subsequently, in 2006, she got new Passport without any police complaint or mention of the Passport she held in the 80's. Now, in 1986, her younger brother, who used to live here in the US at that time, sent her a tourist ticket to the US. So, she applied for a tourist VISA, but got declined at the US consulate in Chennai.

So, that was on the old Passport, and neither she nor my Dad recollect that episode, nor have any documentation. They don't even have a copy of the lost passport

Do we need to mention on the DS160 that she was declined a VISA earlier ? We're now working on this VISA based on the new passport with no link to the old one that is lost.

SHE HAS TO REPORT PRIOR VISA DENIALS, AS THEY WILL BE A MATTER OF RECORD WITH THE CONSULATE.

4. Somewhere on the DS160 form there was a question on the relatives here in the US. Would it be fine to just mention myself as my parents' immediate relative, or do we also have to state my Mom's sister and their children as well ? It asks for their addresses & phone numbers.

THIS IS UP TO YOU.

5. Lastly, do we schedule the VISA interview date after submission of the DS160 forms along with the digital photos ? And, I understand that we could now pay the VISA fee online.

SCHEDULE THE DATE AFTER THE DS-160 IS SUBMITTED. BETTER CHECK WITH THE INDIAN U.S. CONSULATE WEBSITE FOR WHERE TO PAY THE VISA BILL, $160. IN MOST COUNTRIES IT CAN BE PAID IN PERSON AT A DESIGNATED BANK OR BY ONLINE BANK PAYMENT. CHENNAI MAY BE DIFFERENT.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thanks for responding.

Will the Consulate have a track based on the first & last names, or based on the Passport #.
      As I mentioned earlier, the Passport used in the 80's was lost and my folks have no trace of it, nor do they recollect the VISA decline episode.

If they will track by name, they should be able to bring up some info.

Hope the previous decline will not effect our chances.

Thanks again !

Comment

I can't tell you for certain how the Consulate will pull up a previous decline record. If it was a simple visitor visa decline, it was probably done "without prejudice," meaning it's not a barrier for future visa application. The exception to this rule is if the application was denied for misinformation, i.e., potential visa fraud.

I don't know how far back the Consulate is able to check, but my anecdotal experiences are as follows:
        1. Previous visitor visa applications for 5 years or so were routinely picked up by a Consulate records check;
        2. An Indonesian lady whose Adjustment paperwork I did was denied because USCIS had a record of an incomplete J1 expiration going back to late 1970's. She had not met the 2-year "out of U.S." requirement and reentered with a student visa, then stayed in the U.S. for 30+ years (as a visa overstay).

--Ray B

Hi Ray,

Thanks for responding.

Will the Consulate have a track based on the first & last names, or based on the Passport #.
        As I mentioned earlier, the Passport used in the 80's was lost and my folks have no trace of it, nor do they recollect the VISA decline episode.

Thanks again !

Comment

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your responses.

I just have these last set of questions.

1. For my Dad's employer info, he worked in a Bank for 36 yrs, in many cites. Do I need to list them all, or can I just mention the last assignment that he did before retirement ?
          2. I was trying to get to the page where I could upload the digital pics. But, I couldn't. And, on the review page, it says "Pic will be taken at the ASC". What does that mean, and is there another way to upload the pics before I submit the DS160 online ?
          3. Lastly, my Mom worked intermittently as a Teacher in some of the cities my Dad worked in. But, they were all private schools, and the last she was employed was probably in late 80's. She was mostly a homemaker. Can I just list her as a homemaker, and ignore all of her work experience ? In fact, for her or for my Dad to recollect their Supervisors, and their contact info, will be a big challenge. And, I want to make this process as simple as possible for their comfort.

Thanks again for your time !

Comment

Please see my responses in CAPS below:

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your responses.

I just have these last set of questions.

1. For my Dad's employer info, he worked in a Bank for 36 yrs, in many cites. Do I need to list them all, or can I just mention the last assignment that he did before retirement ?

A SINGLE EMPLOYER, WITH PRINCIPAL ADDRESS, CAN BE REPORTED.

2. I was trying to get to the page where I could upload the digital pics. But, I couldn't. And, on the review page, it says "Pic will be taken at the ASC". What does that mean, and is there another way to upload the pics before I submit the DS160 online ?

THIS APPARENTLY VARIES BY COUNTRY, AND 'ASC' USUALLY MEANS 'APPLICATION SUPPORT CENTER,' IN THE U.S. I DON'T KNOW IF IT MEANS THE SAME THING ABROAD.

3. Lastly, my Mom worked intermittently as a Teacher in some of the cities my Dad worked in. But, they were all private schools, and the last she was employed was probably in late 80's. She was mostly a homemaker. Can I just list her as a homemaker, and ignore all of her work experience ? In fact, for her or for my Dad to recollect their Supervisors, and their contact info, will be a big challenge. And, I want to make this process as simple as possible for their comfort.

IF THAT LONG AGO, JUST SHOW ONE FINAL EMPLOYER FOR MOM.

Thanks again for your time !

Comment

Hii i have the same problem, what do u did in ds160 form and you experience please

Hi Ray,

Thanks for responding.

Thanks again !

Hii i have the same problem, what do u did in ds160 form and you experience please

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X